Bowel Movements...how long is too long to wait?

iVillage Member
Bowel Movements...how long is too long to wait?
Sat, 10-13-2012 - 2:49pm

So I know that BF babies are prone to a week long of no bm around week 4 or 5...BUT Quinn is on day 7 with no movement, terrible TERRIBLE gas, and he is SCREAMING in pain and pulling his little legs up.  He's only happy on his belly and I know his belly is hurting.  So when has it been too long and when should I call the doctor? Or does anyone know any home remedies I haven't tried?  I am in tears listening to my little man cry in pain :smileysad:

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sat, 10-13-2012 - 3:29pm

BF'd babies can sometimes go 7-14 days with NO poop...because they are essentially using everything in the BM...as you know.

Before I found out that Jackson was having such awful digestive issues....and that his intestines are all screwed up..... I did these tried and true things (all have worked with DD, and to some degree helped with jack):

You may have already tried them all:

Caro Syrup in a pumped bottle of BM

Thermometer up the butt...rolling it around and poking lightly to stimulate his anus....

Glycerine suppositories for infants (OTC)

Try to give him one bottle 2-3 ounces of water a day.....

Try 1ounce of prune juice diluted in 1oz of water....(apple juice if he won;t drink the prune)...

iVillage Member
Sun, 10-14-2012 - 9:52pm
It sounds like gas to me. We've been using Lefax - the German equivalent of Mylacon (sp?). She only poops a couple times a week, but she makes up for it in quantity. Lol. Anyhow, most often the gas med worked, so I was able to rule out constipation. She did have trouble with her first poopy diaper, so the nurse told me to press her knees to her tummy - apparently that helps them out, too.

For gas we also sometimes use a warm cherry pit pillow - or you could use a warm washcloth.

- JM

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-15-2012 - 10:05am

Hugs.  I went through that with Jacob.  The glycerin suppositories (as per dr.) did nothing but make him scream more.  He eventually went on his own when he was good and ready.  But in our case, he never seemed to be having any discomfort.  I also do the same with my little ones when they have gas, and bend their knees up to their tummies. 

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 10-15-2012 - 11:10pm
Oh goodness. DS#1 was like that, but not in pain just fewer poops. Foster poops at least twice a day, usually more.