I am doing a rescue today

Community Leader
I am doing a rescue today
Sat, 10-13-2012 - 5:42pm

I am doing a adoption for a dog today,here is a referral from a guy and under it is the story of the man wanting to adopt of losing his dog last month,wow

Hi,

Yes, I've known Virg for over 20 years and he is a very good friend.  Virg just lost his little cocker spaniel to a disease it had when he got it.  No one else would take it and we made a little chair for Virg to feed him in and leave him there until his food would go down.  Can't remember the name of the disease but it had to do with the esophogus not moving the food to the stomach so it came back up, hence the chair.

He is looking for another dog because he lives alone and needs a companion. He has no other pets.  In the winter he lives in Grand Forks and in the summer at his cabin on Lake Beltrami. The dog resided inside and probably slept on his bed.  Virg is a responsible pet owner and did everything he could to help his dog.  He often would come to my house and his and my dog would play together, no incidents at all.  In fact, my Collie (I lost her to congenital heart disease and now have a Border Collie) taught his spaniel how to do stairs...it was afraid of them when he first got it but after watching Lilly navigate the stairs he took to them right away.  Funny how that works.  

The dog will get lots of exercise as Virg takes it most everywhere he goes.  It won't lack for attention.  Virg is a retired writer for the Grand Forks Herald where he covered Sioux hockey (or whatever we are now) for 36 years.  He still writes a weekly article and the one he wrote last week was about the passing of his dog Ole.  I will include that below and if you don't think this guy sounds like a good dog owner, then I don't know any.  Thanks for using me as a reference.  Any dog that goes to Virg would be a happy dog.  Please feel free to contact me for any additional information you may need.  Enjoy the column, a bit of a tear jerker :-(

Mark Scott, CPA

BEMIDJI, MN. _ I played football 50 years ago at St. Olaf College with classmate Bill Winter, a future starting NFL linebacker and the greatest player in Ole football history. I played on the hockey team at St. Olaf with classmate Harold Vinnes, without a doubt the greatest player the school has had. I had the joy of reporting on some of the greatest athletes in UND history, hockey players like Mark Taylor, Tony Hrkac, Greg Johnson and Zach Parise and football players like Jim LeClair and Ron Gustafson. Just over a week ago, I held the greatest four-legged athlete I've ever seen in my arms as he died from a lifelong eating disorder that finally claimed him. His name was Ole. He was an english cocker spaniel. He was nine years old and graced my life for three years. I got him because nobody else wanted him. Two previous owners didn't want to deal with his inability to keep food down at times and the mess that created. What I saw was a beautiful dog who loved life and chased tennis balls with speed and passion like no other. Ole was my constant companion. He'd hop in the boat and go fishing or lake cruising with me. He ride along in the car on trips, or jump in the dump bucket in the back of my ATV for rides in the woods. Maybe he lived his life so hard because he somehow knew the disease would cut it so short. I'd have to force him to rest on his daily ritual of ballplaying. His disease made breathing difficult at times, and sapped his stamina. But he lived to chase the tennis ball. We spent hours each week doing that together. I threw, he chased. When his disease reached the critical stage, the vet said she could keep Ole there and put him to sleep. She said he might not make it through the night. My dog was not going to die on a cold table with strangers. I told the vet, no, Ole is going home with me, where he belongs, where he is loved, where he is comfortable. I always sang to Ole at night, songs I devised just for him. I'd stroke his throat and rub his head when his food wouldn't stay down. I'd tell him everything would be all right, that daddy loved him On his last night, I carried Ole in from the car and laid him on the sofa. I covered him with blankets, pulled up a chair next to him and sang soft songs to the best ballplaying dog I've ever seen. He was as good with a ball as Hrkac was with a puck. Coming nine months after the passing of my mother Maebel at age 103, the loss of Ole rocks my world. Tears fall as fast at times as the leaves coming off trees now. Coming back to my lake cabin and having to put away his tennis balls and dog dishes was extremely painful. It involved cleaning up the final signs of a dog I loved so much when I was not at all ready to see him go. If you've owned and loved a pet, you understand. I'll have Ole's ashes back here soon, I'll scatter them in the woods, around the cabin, on the water, down by the beach where he'd run to cool off and get a sip of water. And I'll remember, always, my best friend. Virg Foss reported on sports for 36 years for the Grand Forks Herald until his retirement. He writes a weekly column exclusively for the Herald from October through April. Contact him at (701) 772-9272.

iVillage Member
Sat, 10-13-2012 - 7:59pm
That's a wonderful love story

iVillage Member
Sat, 10-13-2012 - 10:45pm

I sure hope that guy got a dog, sounds like any dog adopted by him would be in great hands!!!  Did you adopt to him??  What kind of dog did he get??

Community Leader
Sun, 10-14-2012 - 9:32am

That's so sad that he lost Ole.  He sounds like a wonderful furdad.  Did he get the dog?

Photobucket

Community Leader
Sun, 10-14-2012 - 10:05am
Nope,the man that wrote the article about losing ole

Community Leader
Sun, 10-14-2012 - 10:07am

Community Leader
Sun, 10-14-2012 - 11:48am

She's such a little cutie.  Did he get her yet?

Photobucket