Inductions

Visitor (not verified)
anonymous user
Inductions
Sat, 10-13-2012 - 9:27pm
Why is it I see more and more people talking about getting induced? My cousin was induced recently. Two weeks early.. Only because she was tired of being pregnant and she had school starting a week after her original due date. So only for her own convenience.
I can understand if there have been medical condition but not out of convenience for mother or doctor.
iVillage Member
In reply to:
Sun, 10-14-2012 - 9:55am

Legally, doctors can't induce earlier than 39 weeks unless medically necessary here in Texas. I'm being induced at 39 weeks because of the size of the baby (my 1st was 12 lbs, and this one is on the same path). 

My body has never gone into labor by itself. Ever. And with as big as my babies are, I don't have the luxury of waiting for it to happen, but I would LOVE to go into labor by myself this time... it'll just have to happen before 39 weeks :smileyvery-happy:

theresa-2.gif picture by forceps40

iVillage Member
In reply to:
Sun, 10-14-2012 - 12:17pm
My doc won't induce until 39w unless necessary. Last time, I labored fairly hard for four days and hung out at three cm for three weeks until my water was broken last time. I was exhausted and getting sick. When they finally broke my water, I was done in four hours. I have had a medically necessary induction AND IT SUCKED. I wouldn't use cervadil, pretty much EVER. And I really hate pitocin. Provided that I am dilating on my own, we will be rupturing my membranes at 39 weeks this time for a few reasons. I'm not going to lie - it is partially for convenience. My husband is a profoundly busy trial lawyer and this is about the only time that he doesn't have to be in "trial mode." Also, it's the only time we'll have any help at all. We live better than 20 minutes from town and we haven't lived here long enough to really make close friends. My MIL will be driving down from Nebraska at that point.
It's probably all for naught - no one thinks I'm going to make it that long! I don't agree with frivolous inductions, ever. I really don't like cervadil, at all. Pitocin isn't that great. They have a place in the world, I'm sure and I understand your frustration. If I didn't know my body well enough to know what will happen after I start to dilate and my water is broken, I wouldn't have ever brought it up with my doc. The stress of dealing with my children and my horses and my house alone is more than I CAN handle. The trial that my husband has coming up is critical and highly public - he can't delay, he can't beg off - it's been his baby for a year now. I know it's more optimal to have your water break on it's own (mine never has), but it's much better for me to have a plan in place to get this baby out before this trial starts.

Jules - Happily married and Momma to DS, DD and expecting our Caboose Baby 11/24/2012

iVillage Member
In reply to: tabigale
Sun, 10-14-2012 - 4:21pm
Jules - i am curious why you dislike cervadil. I have never been induced but had my water broken and needed pitocin with my first. If i need to go the induction route i had always assumed cervadil was the way to start.

I hate the idea of being induced, inductions scare me! I don't want to risk an emergency section because i have 'timed out'. That said I am going to talk to my doc about scheduling an induction for nov 9th (41 wks) if this guy isn't born yet because it is the last weekend that i will have family here to help (they live a 6 hr drive away)
Proud Mom to Annika (4), Jamie (3), and 4 angels. Anxiously awaiting Baby #3!
iVillage Member
In reply to: mommy2moz
Sun, 10-14-2012 - 7:58pm

I'm curious too. I used cervadil on my 1st 3 babies and never had a problem with it. Now I'm wondering if it could be harmful. I'm gonna go Google!

iVillage Member
Sun, 10-14-2012 - 9:51pm
cervadil/misoprostol can be a little evil, in my opinion - take a grain of salt with everything that Dr. Google tells you, but be informed. My doc actually won't use it. He thinks that if it's that big of an emergency, he'll take his chances with a c-section first. He will use a catheter to open the cervix if possible and he will use pitocin and artificial rupture of membranes - he just hasn't like the outcome of cervadil in his patients.

Jules - Happily married and Momma to DS, DD and expecting our Caboose Baby 11/24/2012

iVillage Member
In reply to:
Mon, 10-15-2012 - 5:00am

Posting as a prior member and lurker:

I wasn't induced with my daughter until nearly 42 weeks and only because she was having heart rate decels so it was essential at that point. My doctor refused induction said my body would do it on its own and never induced me for any reason besides a medical one. He did membrane stripping but it never worked in the 41st week. When I was induced I was 3cm and already in early labor that morning starting at 2am, went in at 8am to his office for our NST and told him I'd been having contractions 7-8 mins apart all night at 8am they were 5 minutes apart on his machine he used for the NST. I had a whiff of pitocin and had her by 1:33pm but he would have probably never induced other than her heart wasn't doing good it'd be 150-160 and drop down to 80/90. IDT doctors should incude just because someone wants to have a baby on X date. Sometimes baby's need more time to develop. My daughter was 6lb 7oz so not big at all either if she was born 2 weeks earlier she'd have been pretty tiny I bet. She just needed extra bake time.

iVillage Member
In reply to: mommy2moz
Mon, 10-15-2012 - 9:23am
thesunshinekid wrote:
cervadil/misoprostol can be a little evil, in my opinion - take a grain of salt with everything that Dr. Google tells you, but be informed. My doc actually won't use it. He thinks that if it's that big of an emergency, he'll take his chances with a c-section first. He will use a catheter to open the cervix if possible and he will use pitocin and artificial rupture of membranes - he just hasn't like the outcome of cervadil in his patients.

Dr. Google had some pretty evil things to say about it. Wow... I had NO idea! My last doctor wouldn't use it either. He said it was outdated, but he never said anything more than that.