Catholic Elementary School Cross Country Championships

iVillage Member
Catholic Elementary School Cross Country Championships
Sat, 10-13-2012 - 10:36pm

The Championship race was held today in 6 different races.  JV Girls (top 7 girl runners from each school in grades 2-6), JV Boys (top 7 boys), JV Open (all boys and girls beyond the top 7), Varsity Girls (top 7 runners from each school in grade 7 and 8), Varsity Boys (top 7 boys), Varsity Open (all other 7th and 8th grade runners beyond the fastest 7 from each school).  Our school had kids in all 3 JV races and only the Varsity Girls.  One race started every half hour and each was 1.8 miles long.  The weather was dry and cold with a breeze to start the day- right around the freezing mark.  By the first race, probably about 40 degrees and around 60 by awards time.

Each school was supposed to supply a parent volunteer to be at the finish line for each race to help pass out participation ribbons.  I was "lucky" enough to be that person for the JV Open- the first race of the day.  I was not prepared for how many kids would be puking and heaving as they cross the finish line.  There were also a half dozen or so college cross country runners at the finish and someone had mentioned about the big job they had, but I didn't realize what it was until kids were finishing.  They were trying to pull the pukers over to the side and drag the ones to the side that decided to fall down after crossing the finish (so they wouldn't get trampled by the hundred or so kids right behind them!).  You see, these championship races and invitationals are where each team is putting up a tent and bringing food because you are there for the day.  And lots of kids are sneaking food before they race rather than waiting til they are done.  Under our tent alone we had chili, donuts, granola, apples/bananas/oranges, large chocolate easter eggs, bagels, pretzels, cookies, cereal, and more.

Sean finished his JV career on a good note.  Our JV Boys team finished 19 out of 32 full teams and another 11 without a full compliment of 7 kids.  The first number is their overall place.  The number after the name is their grade level, then their time.  The top JV boy runner did the 1.8 miles in 11 minutes and 23 seconds- crazy fast!  Our JV girls team was 14th place.  It actually turns out that the coach should have put a 2nd grader on our boys team rather than in the open race because his time ended up being faster than 3 of the boys listed below.  I wonder what that would hav done to our score.  I do think that maybe because it was a 2nd grader that he left him in the open race to let the older kids be in the boys jv race one last time before they move up to varsity?  Our Girls Varsity only had 3 girls this year, so no team rankings, but they did well and 2 finished in the top 100 with the other right behind.  All in all, it was a good day!

19. Sspp Pacers 60 Zack, 6 13:43 75 Jonathan, 5 14:02 123 Jude, 3 14:56 134 Sean, 6 15:13 157 Kaden, 6 15:55 158 Josh, 5 15:56 165 Lucas, 6 16:27
iVillage Member
Oh, and basketball season starts on Monday! They gave us 1 whole day off (Sunday)! However, Ian is doing swim lessons so he will miss BBall on the first 4 Mondays of the season. And Sean is supposed to have BBall 7-9pm on Mondays which directly interferes with Boy Scouts on Mondays from 7-8:30. I told the coach that this would impact 6 boys immediately and 2 more in November when they move to Boy Scouts. I also really hate to see practices going til 9pm... bedtime here is 8:30. Ian will have BBall again on Thursdays and Sean on Wednesdays which shouldn't interfere with anything else and they both have it on Saturday- Sean from 10-12 and Ian from 2-4... and of course, I already have plans for Sean to go camping one weekend, for a 1st birthday party for a cousin about an hour from here another weekend and a family trip to a cabin for another weekend. I'm wondering if we really are going to do basketball or not... I'm not thrilled with Sean's coaches and he was luke warm to doing it at all. And Ian will have nice coaches, but last year when they did a thing for 2nd graders, they didn't play them equally which is stated in the guidelines- it's developmental with equal playing time for all kids through 4th grade- and no score keeping in regular season games (just in tournaments) through 4th grade. Can you tell, I'm not "into" basketball!
Community Leader
Wow! What a schedule you have to keep for your players!! That is a shame that they did not play all the kids enough. I have only one kid at home now, my dd is off at college, so it is way easier to on my schedule!! Ds finished his last football game this week with high school. He starts hockey in November, so we do get a break!! Congrats on the championship!! That is so exciting!!!

Ramona  Mom to 2 great kids and wife to one wonderful hubby since 1990!

Community Leader
I've gotten to the point that I'm ok with most of the team sports biting the dust. The farther the kids get into them the less they are family friendly.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Well, for sure, he won't be continuing onto Basketball for 7th and 8th grade... they are brutal. However, I was just talking to the public school neighbor. For 5th grade, they have an intermural basketball program for in school only... but for 6th, they have try outs and only 12 kids make the team. We have 17 kids on our 5/6 grade team and the option to have a 2nd team if we had enough coaches. I don't know that my younger son would do basketball after this year since he's not real interested and my older one will not continue beyond this year. I'm perfectly fine not having to get anyone to basketball practice or games!