Booster Reco for my 5yr old

iVillage Member
Booster Reco for my 5yr old
Sat, 10-13-2012 - 11:41pm

Hi! First I want to say thank you in advance for any help and advice you can offer. You ladies have always been so helpful in the past, that this is the first place I have come to with my questions! :smileyhappy:

My daughter turned 5 in June and is about 46 lbs. We drive a 2004 Honda Oddessy and a 2006 Honda Civic. Both of which have the LATCH system in place. She has been in a 5-point harness convertible since she was 2 and has grown increasingly weary about sitting in her "baby" seat and we are now forced to move her to a "big girl" seat. Would love to know our best options for a booster.

I know Britax are supposed to be the best and safest and would love to be able to afford one, however, I need two seats. Ugh. I want a seat that goes all the way up and protects her head. I'm not really bothered about all the special little featres like a cup holder, I'm only concerned with safty.

I'm going to have my husband look tomorrow and see what our LATCH weight limits are in each vehicle. I neer realized before that this could be an issue, as I'm sure with her weight PLUS her current seat we are probably way over our limit. If this is the case and both seat and her weight are taken into consideration, would it be safer for her to use the seat belt only, or is a 5-poiint harness still an option?

Since I need two seats, which boosters can you recommend to us that I could confidently purchase and know that my baby is safe, yet she's able to feel like a big kid and get herself in and out of by herself.

THANK YOU!!

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 10-15-2012 - 12:44pm
The LATCH limit should be in there somewhere, but if you can't find you should be able to call Honda and the customer service rep should be able to tell you. That's not 100% though, so keep looking through those manuals. But if she's under 40lbs, you're safe, if she's over 40lbs, I'd re-install her 5pt seat with the seat belt to be safe.

Unless she is a very large child, like my DS (he's only 3 and already over 40lbs and 40in tall, that's 95%) the Frontier is over kill. It harnesses the average child to 8-9 yrs of age and then does become a HBB (high back booster, just the seat belt). It boosters to 120lbs as well.

The Parkway is just a booster, just the seat belt. I do believe it has an SG version, which has a clip that converts into a 4pt belt by clipping it between the legs. This is a good thing for smaller booster riders.

If you want to look at another combo seat (5pt to belt positioning booster) I'd look at the Graco Nautilus. It harness the average child to 6-7yrs old, becomes a HBB, then a NBB (no back booster).

In regards to Britax being "the BEST" that really isn't true anymore, there are many seats that will fit children better, last rearfacing longer with more leg room and in many cases, install easier. They used to be the best and the only option for extended rearfacing children, but not any more. Basically what I'm saying is don't get caught up in the brand name, look at the best seat in terms of fitting your child, fitting your car and one that you can be sure will be used correctly each and every time she's in it.

HTH :smileyhappy:
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sun, 10-14-2012 - 6:59pm

Thank you!!

We have been looking through our Honda manuals and cannot find a weight limit on either LATCH systems. Not sure why they didn't include that info.

I'm nearly convinced to buy a Britax Frontier, which is obviously a lot more money but it sounds like something that would grow with her. My only question so far about that seat is does it eventually convert into a seatbelt only seat instead of the 5-point harness? I'm looking at the Frontier or the less expensive seat, the Parkway. Do you have opinons on either seat?

Thank you again for your help!!

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sun, 10-14-2012 - 11:00am
Oh, and even if she is over the LATCH limit, you can install her 5pt seat with the seat belt. A seat belt install is just as safe as a LATCH install, LATCH is just supposed to be easier.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sun, 10-14-2012 - 10:53am
Honda's LATCH limits are for the child's weight only, Subaru is the only manufacturer that includes the seat weight in the LATCH limit. So Subaru makes their limits like 60lbs or so, most other manufacturer is 40 or 48lbs.

As for belt positioning boosters, the best one is the one that fits your car and child. The Graco Turbobooster fits smaller booster riders quite well, like the just 40lbs kiddos. The Evenflo Amp has a very deep seat that works well for long-legged kiddos. Ummm, shoot, I'm drawing a blank on any other specific boosters.

I do hope that helped at least a little, maybe gave you a starting point for what to look for for your big little girl :smileyhappy:

If I can remember any more boosters, I'll come back with them.
Photobucket