Ski Trip

Visitor (not verified)
anonymous user
Ski Trip
Sat, 10-13-2012 - 11:46pm

My daughter, 12, is thinking about going on the ski trip with her youth group at Christmas..She was very excited but she keeps changing her mind about going. The ski trip is 7th grade to College. She sometimes get stressed about being one  the youngest kids in the youth group.

Plus she will miss her birthday because she will be driving home from the ski trip.

It seems every night she asks me if she should go on this ski trip? I really don't know what to say. Does anyone think maybe she is too young to go?

iVillage Member
In reply to:
Sat, 10-13-2012 - 11:57pm
I don't know of ANY "youth group" that would combine middle school, high school and college age kids--especially on a away trip. On the chance that this is not a troll, let me just say *I* would not allow my child to go on an away trip with much older kids.
Community Leader
In reply to:
Sun, 10-14-2012 - 1:33am

To me, her ambivalence signals that she is uncomfortable with the trip. Decide for her that she should stay home and celebrate her birthday with the family. There will be other ski trips when she is older. 

iVillage Member
In reply to:
Sun, 10-14-2012 - 8:06am
I'd say if there's any qualms, and if she intends to stay with this youth group, she has plenty of years in the future when she's older and more mature. I agree with sabr that it's odd to have this wide age range in at once, but you didn't mention if it's an overnight or a day trip. If the latter, I don't think it'd be as big of a deal.
iVillage Member
In reply to:
Sun, 10-14-2012 - 10:29am
I'm with sabr on this one - I can't think of any legitimate 'youth group' that would send 12 year old children off on a trip with 20-22 year old adults. I wouldn't let my 12 year old go. Heck - I probably wouldn't even let a 14-15 year old go.
Pam
iVillage Member
In reply to:
Mon, 10-15-2012 - 1:29pm

I agree with what everyone else has posted.  My kiddos are very involved with their church youth group and though there are some activities where MS and HS both participate (service activities, girl outings, baseball games, etc.) I can not think of a time where MS and HS have gone on this type of big trip.  One of the cool things about being an "older kid" is that you finally get to go on the "big trips."  I understand that each Church is different.  You know your daughter best and it sounds like you think she might not want to go on the trip.  Maybe this is one of those times that you could either volunteer to go on the trip as a chaperone, or just tell her that it might be better to wait until she is older.  All in all, this is a parent's decision.   Our children can have input into how things are decided, but as parents this type of call is ours to make.