Question about Intact Male Cats and MEOWing pathetically!

iVillage Member
Question about Intact Male Cats and MEOWing pathetically!
Sat, 10-13-2012 - 11:49pm

Hi again. Just wondering, but our cat, Cookie has been acting goofy lately. We haven't gotten him neutered yet, and he does NOT go outside at the moment. He is doing this pathetic meow outside the door, like even worse than Snowy's pathetic meow. He's meowing almost like a female in heat. I know we have a neighbor female cat that comes to our window checking out the cats here. She had kittens a few months ago, and they neighbors said they would be getting her spayed. I have no idea if they have gotten her spayed yet.

I am familiar with the sound of female cats who are in heat, and it kind of sounds like that. Do males act "that" way, if you know what I mean? I know we need to get him neutered---we're working on it at the moment, but he was just diagnosed with congestive heart failure after finding him having a hard time breathing a few months ago.  He seems to be making these sounds when he's on top of the curio cabinets and he seems to do it when he wants to get into the bedroom. I mean the sound is almost like he's crying like "your torturing me b/c you don't want me to come in but I wanna". It even at times sounds like the videos on YouTube where the cat is actually talking...he sounds like he's saying MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, let me in, MooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMm! LOL

Is he just wanting a "girlfriend" as I say? He does try and get our 2 females and they both hiss at him and tell him to buzz off for the most part (the females are spayed).

iVillage Member

Could be any number of things but yea if he's intact he can carry on like that and may start spraying too to mark territory.  If the female outdoors is in heat again and likely she may have been then that's likely the reason for his vocalizations as he's wanting out to get to her. 

Is he using the litter box okay? 

Is he not neutered because the vet says due to his medical condition he's a poor surgical risk?  If that isn't the case I would call the vet and tell him that you need to get him in asap for neutering unless there is a medical reason that he can't have the sugery.

iVillage Member

I am going to ask the neighbor if they spayed her. I never hear her howling or meowing. I have seen Cookie try and get our 2 female cats. Yeah, right now $$ is a bit tight so we are scrimping and saving to get him neutered. I actually did wonder if he is a poor candidate for surgery, but I am not sure b/c the congestive heart failure literally got diagnosed about 2 months ago. I mean he's doing well--he's not on any meds right now but we have Lasix and something else in case he needs it. So far he's doing well, but I was actually wondering if all this carrying on he's doing is related to that. The only reason why I don't think so is b/c he has never acted like he was in any kind of distress. The look on his face that day we found him was enough to make me think he might not have made it to the vet in time and we thought he might die that week. So far he's hanging on very strongly. They did tell us he won't live as long as a cat that doesn't have it though. His case is congenital.

iVillage Member
I would call the vet and tell them what's going and get their advice. It could very well be a combination of medical and him still being intact.

Good luck.

Community Leader

It is so hard to say.....it could be something is bothering him, could be he knows that girl is out there. I would do 2 things: check with the neighbors about their cat and call your vet and see what all this means to get him neutered. Quite honestly, if he is in distress about the girls, getting over excited won't help his heart condition either. Knowing his issues, the vet may be willing to take payments on the neuter to make sure he gets done.

Photobucket
Community Leader

I have to think that Cookie is wanting a girlfriend.  They can smell a female in heat for a long way.  Intact males will try to mate with any female, spayed or not.  If his congestive heart failure is being treated and he's doing well, he would probably be fine to go through a neutering.  The vet can take special precautions with him.  It's a very quick procedure so he won't have to be under very long. 

I hope that you can get Cookie neuthered soon so you can all have peace. 

Photobucket

iVillage Member

First, I just wanted to say thanks for the responses. If the CL's could also let the Ivillage team people--the tech aspect of it that I am having a hard time with log in. Yesterday I couldn't get in on another board, and eventually I was able to. Today when I first logged in, it said I wasn't authorized to post. Clicked reply and it let me post my reply.

Anyway, since it's been a while since I asked this, I do think it's girlfriend problems. LOL, sounds funny, but I am trying not be to too um, vulgarish. The other night the silly boy was hanging out by the window sill, b/c the girl was there, and they we're both smacking the screen. He's so silly. I haven't had a chance to talk to the vet, but I think there is a low cost clinic and they have some specials, so I am going to see if we can go there. It's where snowy and Dusty were spayed.

Community Leader

They were having trouble with IE logging in.  I couldn't log in with it at all.  I tried Firefox and it worked much better.  They have IE working now, but for some reason I have to log in on the iVillage main page first.

Male cats can smell a female in heat a mile away.  I hope you can get him into the low cost spay and neuter clinic soon.

Photobucket