Workouts week of October 14

iVillage Member
Workouts week of October 14
Sun, 10-14-2012 - 12:38pm
I am back in Krakow, so really need accountability this week. I visited Wawel castle today. It is very near the hotel I stay at, and I've been on the grounds a little, but today I paid admission for a few places. The system is either excellent or insane...there are about seven different things to see, and you pay separate admission to each one, and the prices vary. And they only sell so many Ickes or exact thing, and thy give you a time to go in...the idea is to o early in the morning and get to see everything, butmy only option was to go this afternoon, which was ok because even though I could only get tickets to two places, that was plenty. I saw the royal Armory/treasury and the State Apartments. Plus there is. cathedral that is open to the public, no admission. The Treasury was a lot of silver, not many jewels...not like the Crown Jewels of London or ure. My nephews will like the armory part...suits or rumor, even or horses, sabers, beautiful pistols...the State Apartments are gorgeous...a recreation in the 20th century after a century of neglect...beautiful marble floors, coffered ceilings, tapestries, frescoes...and the Cathedral was very beautiful and interesting. Two saints are buried there, plus Frederick Chopin's heart...plus a lot of kings and queens...the chapel for John Paul II had people devotedly praying. His influence here is very strong. I then walked to Market Square and in whst is becoming my 'first day in Krakow' tradition, I went to my favorite pierogi place. Today I had sweet ones - filled with sweet cheese, strawberries, or blueberries, drizzled with sweet cream...I know it was probably dessert for lunch, and I don't even care. And if I can stay awake, I am going to have THE cake in the hotel bar while watching football later. I might have a nap...I should go swim but I am at the dangerously tired point so we'll see. My goal for the week is to lift three times. I am going to try functional combined lifts (Like squat, bicep curl, shoulder press, and lunge, hammer curl upright ow) on two days, and then do chest/back the middle day). I'll do 10 minutes of cardio those days. One day I want to run by the river fora half hour. One day I will swim...if that night is tonight, I will have a rest day but if not, this ill be the rest day. I will do 10 minutes of floor abs in my room each night, plus some tending abs in between lifting. And Zumba and swimimg at home on SaturdY...I can do this...I need to do this. Plus for eting, I will have just eggs and fruit except for Friday. Dessert tonight and one other night, salad or sop as one meal a day, and if I eat alone, no wine or other alcohol...except tonight in the bar watching football...that's my plan...
Community Leader
Mon, 10-15-2012 - 11:43am

That castle sounds interesting. Are there tours in English?  Oh, what is zumba like there?

I'm feeling sore like I don't want to do anything this week but I do want to keep moving.

Sun: run/aerial silks ( I never know where to put Sunday but don't like splitting up the weekend as accountability at the end of the week goes)

Mon: rest

Tues: Zumba at night, if I can

Wed: thinking of going to aerial silks and parkour

Thurs: triple step, conditioning, jazz

Fri: running 

Sat: teaching boot camp/silks/parkour

Community Leader
Thu, 10-18-2012 - 7:59am

Wow.  I am exhausted just reading your itinerary!  Just the heart of Chopin?!  Castles?!  That all sounds lovely, as do the pierogis...anything drizzled with cream.  Aaaahhhh.  That reminds me of the multi-layer pumpkin cake with buttercream frosting that my daughter ordered when we went out to dinner last weekend.  Lovely!

My workouts have been "off" this week.

Sunday nothing

Monday ?nothing

Tuesday yoga and three hours of dog training

Wednesday nothing

Thursday (today) yoga on my own, pup training tonight (walking)

Friday yoga

Saturday spin and pilates

iVillage Member
Sat, 10-20-2012 - 8:18pm

Back home, with my pc, so I can post again...it was really lonely in Krakow without access to the boards....and I am particuarly annoyed because of the comment before the switch - now we'll be able to make changes whenever we want, not have to wait for the vendor'...all I can think of is - the vendor probably knew how diffficult it was to test everything.  This is the biggest software install mess I have ever seen....so many members were lost after the last upgrade, when things worked, but dfferently.  I have to beleive this will really negatively impact the boards...which makes me sad because I post here and on other boards, and it has been very helpful to me to see that other women struggle with similar issues to me.  I suspect a lot of groups will move to Facebook or other like sites, and that is too bad because it makes acquiring new members difficult.   And as someone who works with software, I hate when people underestimate how hard it is to make things work properly...I don't understand the urgency of this rollout...why the proper time couldn't be spent on testing.  And I beleive that many members woulld have helped with testing if an alternate site had been set up and thry had been asked to test....

But anyway...Krakow was, as always, sunny and warm...well, one rainy day, but otherwise gorgeous.  I worked out five times.  Monday, I did 10 minutes on bike, then I did combo lifts - squat, bicep curl, shoulder press, then lunges, upright row, hammer curls.  I did three sets of each, and in between sets I did standing ab moves.  Tuesday, I tried the eliptical - I can't say I loved it,but  it definitely worked a thigh muscle I evidently don't use much'  It was a good way to try it, and slightly more calories than bike.  Then I did lifting for chest/back- chest press, flys, both on a flat bench, deadlifts, pushups.  wWednesday, I swam - 100 laps but the pool was short, so I would say 30 minutes of swimming.  Thursday I didn't get up in time for the gym, but I did abs and stretching in the hotel room ar night.  Friday, I ran for 15 minutes, then did combo lifts - plie squat, bicep curl, chest press, then lunges, hammer curl,tricep extensions. I came home last night.  Today I went to Zumba, but it was cancelled...so I did 30 minutes on bike, then abs and stretching.  I had my hair colored this morning and I think its better to not swim on the same day....especially not in the next hour...it took a lot of effort to stay on the bike, but I did it.

I feel like I did OK with eating...I never actually had the fabulous cake...or any dessert except for the cookies delivered to my room, and I made them last for three days...probably too much wine and vodka...Today I am drinking a lot of water...

I haven't done Zumba in Poland...but I am told they have it there, so I will try it out.  

iVillage Member
Sat, 10-20-2012 - 8:19pm

Back home, with my pc, so I can post again...it was really lonely in Krakow without access to the boards....and I am particuarly annoyed because of the comment before the switch - now we'll be able to make changes whenever we want, not have to wait for the vendor'...all I can think of is - the vendor probably knew how diffficult it was to test everything.  This is the biggest software install mess I have ever seen....so many members were lost after the last upgrade, when things worked, but dfferently.  I have to beleive this will really negatively impact the boards...which makes me sad because I post here and on other boards, and it has been very helpful to me to see that other women struggle with similar issues to me.  I suspect a lot of groups will move to Facebook or other like sites, and that is too bad because it makes acquiring new members difficult.   And as someone who works with software, I hate when people underestimate how hard it is to make things work properly...I don't understand the urgency of this rollout...why the proper time couldn't be spent on testing.  And I beleive that many members woulld have helped with testing if an alternate site had been set up and thry had been asked to test....

But anyway...Krakow was, as always, sunny and warm...well, one rainy day, but otherwise gorgeous.  I worked out five times.  Monday, I did 10 minutes on bike, then I did combo lifts - squat, bicep curl, shoulder press, then lunges, upright row, hammer curls.  I did three sets of each, and in between sets I did standing ab moves.  Tuesday, I tried the eliptical - I can't say I loved it,but  it definitely worked a thigh muscle I evidently don't use much'  It was a good way to try it, and slightly more calories than bike.  Then I did lifting for chest/back- chest press, flys, both on a flat bench, deadlifts, pushups.  wWednesday, I swam - 100 laps but the pool was short, so I would say 30 minutes of swimming.  Thursday I didn't get up in time for the gym, but I did abs and stretching in the hotel room ar night.  Friday, I ran for 15 minutes, then did combo lifts - plie squat, bicep curl, chest press, then lunges, hammer curl,tricep extensions. I came home last night.  Today I went to Zumba, but it was cancelled...so I did 30 minutes on bike, then abs and stretching.  I had my hair colored this morning and I think its better to not swim on the same day....especially not in the next hour...it took a lot of effort to stay on the bike, but I did it.

I feel like I did OK with eating...I never actually had the fabulous cake...or any dessert except for the cookies delivered to my room, and I made them last for three days...probably too much wine and vodka...Today I am drinking a lot of water...

I haven't done Zumba in Poland...but I am told they have it there, so I will try it out.  

Community Leader
Sat, 10-20-2012 - 8:57pm

Excited to see that you posted and were able to get back on.  I can't believe the elliptical was challenging for you, with all the leg work you do.  Did you have it on a high resistance?  

Someone asked me about how much I work out, since it seems like I do a lot. I told her I consider a lot of what I do "movement" rather than "working out."  Some of it, like parkour, isn't a work out at my level.  Some jumping, well maybe a lot of jumping, but I don't ever come close to breaking a sweat or breathing hard.

Sun: running and aerial silks (killer because it's a semi-private and I had a silk to myself which meant I spent the whole hour working.  The person who shared with me and I talked about how sore we were on Monday!)

Mon: Zumba, was so sore from silks but wanted to move. I consider this "movement"

Tues: run/walk short distance, spinning, CXworks (half hour core) Zumba

Wed: rest

Thurs: tacught step, cardio kickbox and then did jazz class (this is also "movement")

Friday: Zumba

Sat: aerial silks and parkour

It was an intense-ish workout week but I need some more HIIT cardio.

Community Leader
Sun, 10-21-2012 - 9:06am

Your workouts and worklife sound exhausting!  Just the walking during transit is probably a workout.  I am envisioning long walks through terminals and to/from the car with luggage in tow.  :O

Welcome back.  There is nothing like the relief and familiarity of being back home.  :)  I especially love coming back to my dogs.  This was an off workout week for me.  Even yesterday, I didn't do my spin and pilates.  Instead, I worked on my craft room. I think, in the back of my mind, somewhere, I had hoped that my son would come back to live with me.  My craft room is the second bedroom in the jacknjill bedrooms, so I unconsciously didn't want to unpack and get it all set up.  Last week's therapist session sealed the last nail in that coffin, so to speak.  So yesterday, I got most of that room unpacked.  I think it's time for a creativity project.  :D  Only, I'm having a little "ADD" in which direction - oil painting?  finish an unfinished quilt?  art quilt?  I may not have time because I might take my pup to puppy playtime...last week, he growled at a couple puppies when I was petting them - I put him in a submission hold, but I think we need to repeat that training so he learns not to be territorial...just to make sure.  I am not going to have my ginormous dog turn into Kujo. :P

iVillage Member
Sun, 10-21-2012 - 9:34pm

Jean - I didn't realize there was any kind of resistance control  so I have no idea.  I found the 'downward' motion I had to do with my thigh muscle quite challenging.  I have some soreness in my hips most of the time, and the power I needed definitely challenged that.  But it made me want to do more.

FSN - my life might be physically challenging, but it is not emotionally difficult most of the time.  I know that for some people, lonliness might be a problem, but I look at the amount of energy people expend on relationships with parents, spouses, children, and I am glad for my relatively drama free life.  There is definitely a lot of airport walking, but there is so much sitting on the plae, I am happy when I get to move. 

In the gym at the hotel, there are mirrors in the cardio area, so I could see my legs while I was biking/running - I have to say, my lower leg muscles are like ropes...so strong...I get so much joy from working out -  I love the person I am at the gym....