Maternity tops don't fit!! What am I going to do?

iVillage Member
Maternity tops don't fit!! What am I going to do?
Sun, 10-14-2012 - 1:37pm

So I have a slight issue with maternity clothes. I am super tiny, in every which way, height, weight, frame. I am just small. I am 17 weeks tomorrow and my jeans haven't fit for about 3 weeks. I have been wearing lulu lemon track pants and recently purchased some maternity pants which surprisingly fit. I thought pants would be a huge issue because they always are, since  Iam only 4'9".

Turns out it's tops that are now the problem, but they have never been in the non-pregnant world. I don't quite need maternity tops yet but I went into a maternity store just to see what was out there and how they fit. Well obviously the belly was too large, which I expected at this point however I had the smallest size they carried, an XS and it was way to long in length, in the arms and to baggy in the shoulders and arms too. Shoulders and arms don't change, as far as I know when your pregnant. But this stuff didn't fit at all. If it doesn't fit when I actually need to wear them I don't know what I'll do. I wont have clothes. Normal tops won't fit me right and neither will maternity clothes. I am seriously concerened. Not to mention very few items came in XS. Most stuff was hideous, all the nice stuff only existed in S. I feel cheated and left out almost. Like there isn't anything for me just because  I am small and pregnant. They make plus size clothes. Why not petite clothes? My pants are petite but tops don't exist in that sizing. Its embarassing and insulting. I felt like a fool in that store. Everyone else in there was happily shopping away picking out the cutest stuff and I was left with the crap I wouldn't even dress a dog in!

iVillage Member
Have you tried online? Maybe they have xxs maternity somewhere or petite maternity. You could also try getting something tailored? It's hard to look nice when your pregnant but the styles now are way better than 15 years ago when I had my first! I hope you can find something!!

Abbie
iVillage Member

Yep I agree with online.  And try more stores around you too, because you'll find brands run differently.  You'll be surprised how you will grow into them!  But most are pretty long, which I can see being annoying since you're short & petite - although I still think once your belly expands out more, the shirt will fit nicer.  Good luck, you'll find some stuff I'm sure :smileyhappy: