Dd came home!

iVillage Member
Dd came home!
Sun, 10-14-2012 - 5:44pm

And left today. 

I think she had a good visit.  She made friends with her stand partner- she lives about an hour from our house.  I took her home and met her mom in a parking lot (that's where she wanted to meet).  Then dh drove her to her house this morning (I guess he can convince better than I can LOL) and her dad took both girls back to campus. 

But- I'm beginning to think that maybe I can bail out the post office LOL.  She left the "business casual" outfit that she needs for a class next month (there's someone important coming to class and this teacher said all the students needed to dress up AND they got a crash course on what business casual is LOL).  Music she needs to practice with.  Her metrinome.  A practice sheet.  Looking for a box and now I can't find it.  Shoot if I knew I was going to be mailing packages to school all the time (ok maybe 2x a month- but STILL) I'd saved all of the big boxes we got last year at Christmas LOL. It needs to get in the mail ASAP so I hope I can find something to put this stuff in.

She saw some friends.  Went over to the school and saw her favorite teacher :smileyhappy:  We did a Halloween amusement park in the area- that was kind of neat.  Took her shopping. 

She'll be back in a month for a week at Thanksgiving.  Man this semester has flown.................

Cheryl

iVillage Member
Sun, 10-14-2012 - 7:02pm
Hi Cheryl, How great to have a visit! I remember you said you would be doing some driving. Did the trip provide a lot of time to talk in the car and hear from both girls their perspectives? Good news the other family stepped up to help with the commutes! :smileyhappy: I use the flat rate boxes the post office has as a giveaway to mail. Funny how you mentioned business casual. We were telling new hires to come in business casual and have dropped the word casual... It seems too many hear the word casual and we still ended up with folks in shorts and flip flops! :smileywink:
iVillage Member
Sun, 10-14-2012 - 7:40pm
My ds is home right now too. Got home late yesterday afternoon and leaves early Tuesday morning. We tried to go see the movie Argo last night, but it was sold out. Total bummer. All three of us (dh, ds and I) all wanted to see it. It is so much fun when your kid grows up and has the same movie interests that you do.
iVillage Member
In reply to: elle_fl
Sun, 10-14-2012 - 9:47pm
Hi Robin, We are so protected in a sense..( I can never remember being turned away from a movie that was sold out here!) We went to see Argo! Political thrillers don't come any better! Did you make all his fav meals?
iVillage Member
Mon, 10-15-2012 - 7:55am

My 15 year old was trying to be "helpful" LOL. 

Trying to find something that she liked in business casual was a pain.  So the youngest is in Kohls- and she picked this wild outfit.  She said "See- it's business casual.  The pants are business and the top is casual".  Um- no.  Then I tried to explain to the kids that business casual means that it's not a shirt/tie, business suit- but yet looks nice enough that an employer will give you respect. 

I found a box to put all the stuff in.  I think I'm going to look at the flat rate boxes- I'm betting that it probably costs just as much as the boxes I'm putting together at home.  Probably a whole lot easier too. 

The girls kind of talked.  She seems nice enough. I think she has a better relationship with her roommate than dd does.  And dd sounded a little jealous of that. Not that they don't get along- they're not BFF, I think they have different interests.  Which is fine.  Learning to live with someone different is all part of the college "experience".  And we told her she's only got to live in this situation for a year.  Next year she can choose someone to room with.

Her parents are very nice.  Dh dropped dd off yesterday morning and they gave him coffee :smileyhappy:  Their house is about an hour away from here, so it's a little bit out of our way.  But if it means that at breaks we only have to do the drive once, it works for me.  A  one way train ticket/ bus ticket costs MORE than what it costs us in gas and car wear. 

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-15-2012 - 9:07am
Those visits home are the best, aren't they? I use the flat rate boxes alot. You can cram so much in there, and I think I save money. I just heard the postage rates are going up again soon. I better mail what I need to before that happens!
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 10-15-2012 - 12:04pm

I looked at the flat rate boxes.  For the stuff I shipped today, it was actually cheaper for me to send the non-flat rate.  Since dd is only a couple of hours away in-state, they said I'd have to send 10 lbs of stuff for it to make sense.  DIdn't send 10 lbs of stuff today LOL. 

I also had to order her some music.  The guy at the music store is nice- when I got dd strings for her violin I had him ship it UPS.  I wanted to make sure they got there ASAP, they weren't exactly cheap strings.  But for this piece of music, I think I'm going to go ahead and just take care of it myself.  I know he sends stuff out every day, but it's going to be cheaper for me to take it to the PO rather than have UPS take care of it. 

Cheryk