Super short feedings!

iVillage Member
Super short feedings!
Sun, 10-14-2012 - 7:30pm

Alby's feedings have been really short for the last few days, I'm worried that he's stopping too early on each breast and not getting the hind milk. Could he just be really efficient at eating now? My let down has also been really strong, so after a few sucks he starts to chug really fast, sometimes even chokes and lets go (at which point i spray him in the face and have to grab a kleenex really quick!).  So now he's been doing only about 10 mins on the first side and 5-7 mins on the second. He seems to be content but not "full", he sometimes still sucks at his hands and looks hungry after, but won't take any more when I offer it. Also his poops were very green, which my midwife warned be about if they're consistent, but they have come back to a more mustard colour again today. Is this all normal for this stage, is it just a phase?

iVillage Member
Wed, 11-07-2012 - 6:18pm

Thanks Sara! Wow, that sounds like exactly what's going on! Here I'm constantly wondering if he's getting enough milk and he might be getting too much and way too fast!! Thanks, I'm gonna look into the OALD some more!

iVillage Member
Sat, 10-20-2012 - 3:50pm
I have researched the crap out of all things breastfeeding since I've had so much trouble and I can tell you it sounds like you have overactive letdown...and what normally goes along with that is a foremilk/hindmilk imbalance. That usually makes the baby very gassy and get green frothy poos (you wouldn't see the "frothy" part unless he pooped while you were changing him since the bubbles pop in the diaper) Here is a link to a little bit about it on La Leche League: http://www.lalecheleague.org/nb/lvsepoct95p69nb.html And here is a link to ways to help: http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/supply-worries/fast-letdown/ I had(have) OALD but it has gotten much better since I've only started nursing on one breast per feeding. I actually do the same breast for 2 hours, but you will want to see how your supply is first just doing one breast per feeding. Also, if he's getting all foremilk, he will be hungrier faster because the hindmilk has the fat that keeps him content longer. Try one breast per feeding first and see what that does...just my 2 cents. I know occasional green poops are normal, but the breastfeeding description is what makes me think the two are related. HTH!
iVillage Member
Mon, 10-15-2012 - 10:28pm

That all sounds pretty normal to me. Josh has also really dropped down to about 10 minutes on the first breast with almost 10 minutes on the second breast. Babies have a really good idea of how much they need... they eat when their hungry and they don't eat when they're not. 

Josh's poos have changed color on occasion... but always migrate back to orange. As long as the color is back to the usual, I would not be too concerned.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 10-15-2012 - 1:46pm

Not sure. It could be a few things. Is his nose stuffy? Mason's has been for a while which makes eating and breathing more difficult. We end up nursing shorter, but more frequently. OR your little guys just might be more efficient and your let down fast so he gets full faster. If your let down is fast, he might be getting more air in his tummy. Have you tried burping him and them putting him back on? Mason has needed that too. Plus, he tends to just eat one side now. That is frustrating because it leaves me full on the other. If you are worried about yours getting hindmilk, you could just feed him on one side and pump the other. Or feed him on both and pump after feeding him it or storing it for later. Honestly, I wouldn't worry too much about it. There are times when they are going to want to eat more (during growth spurts) and less. I think mother nature should take care of itself. But obviously, if he is losing weight, it would be more concerning.

Photobucket