Short Luteal Phase anyone?

iVillage Member
Short Luteal Phase anyone?
Sun, 10-14-2012 - 8:38pm

Does anyone else have a short luteal phase?  I usually start spotting 5 to 7 days after ovulation.  Just curious as to what your doctor may be suggesting about it.  It seems that all the doctors just shrug their shoulders to this issue.  The new RE I saw for my 2nd IUI said he could give me progesterone to take after ovulation, but he never gave me a script for it.  I think he mentioned that Femara and/or Ovidrel would assist with the luteal phase.  I just had my IUI this past Friday and of course I'm worried because I didn't ask for the script on Friday.  But, I don't know for sure that I need the progesterone because I tried the OTC progesterone cream that you just rub into your skin each day and it actually caused more spotting.  All of the bloodwork I've had done as been normal.

Anyone have advice? 

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-15-2012 - 1:56pm

I think you should contact your doctor again, a short luteal phase can really hurt your chances.  I've seen members lengthen it by taking B6, but you would have to start it earlier in your cycle.  On what day do you see real flow showing up? Let us know what you find out. 

iVillage Member
Thu, 10-18-2012 - 7:02am

Thanks Melissa.  I called my Dr. office and they gave me 200tab of Progesterone to take vaginally before bedtime.  I hope this helps and that I didn't start it too late.  I started 5dpo.  So far I haven't had any spotting!  My cycles are 30 days. Today is CD21. In the past I had contacted by OBGYN to see if they would do a progesterone test to see if it was low and they told me they only did that for pregnant people, even though I explained why I wanted it.  I got mad and started going to another Dr. office.  I have yet to have anyone give me a progesterone test though.  I don't know why nobody feels it to be necessary.

iVillage Member
Thu, 10-18-2012 - 5:13pm
That's great that you aren't spotting yet! I don't know why it's such a big deal either, sounds like you might have to be pushy about it.

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-23-2012 - 8:00pm

I'm near the end of my cycle and no spotting thanks to the progesterone!  YAY

iVillage Member
Wed, 10-24-2012 - 2:54pm
That's awesome news!!! I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for you ;)