Back again with $9,100 to pay

Visitor (not verified)
anonymous user
Back again with $9,100 to pay
Sun, 10-14-2012 - 8:49pm

Hello everyone,

I have been back and forth, back and forth to this board. I seem to do well while I am being accountable but then slip back into bad habits. I will keep my story short for now. It was a rough 6 months with my depression and it seems I aways spend more when i am feeling down than at other times. 

I am 41 years old, divorced 2 years. I live on my own, and I owe $9,100 in debt right now that I ned to pay off. 

Step 1 - Stop using my credit card. Done, it is already out of my wallet and tucked away. You know out of site, and out of mind.

Step 2 - Pay more than my monthly payment. Currently my monthly paymnet is $200 and I am paying between $400-$500 each month

Currently I am on an 0% credit card until next spring and I am determined to pay this off before the interest kicks in, or get as close as I can.

I did not get into this debt over night. It has been accruing as I have been tryign to get back on my feet financially after my divorce in 2010, and I have done a lot "I deserve" / emotional shopping in the past few years.

I am going to have to snowflake a lot, cut back on my eating out, and other things I "deserve" but with a little accountability here and a LOT of self discipline I can do it.

I like the Monday and Friday check ins. It is so easy to get into debt and takes such disipline to get out of it.

Keep me honest.

Pages

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-15-2012 - 8:10am
Welcome Back! I'm in the same boat. I seem to go in waves of being really good and then, well, not :smileyhappy:

Paying more then double on the debt is a great start! Keep it up and it will be gone in no time!

Bex -

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-15-2012 - 10:15am

Hey Smooch! Nice to see a familiar face.

Try setting a savings goal for when you get out of debt for something you really want. That will keep you honest. You can do this.

Karen

Community Leader
Mon, 10-15-2012 - 2:33pm
Good to see you! Adjusting after a D is hard! It took me a while to adjust, also. It was like "oh, I guess I can't keep spending $80 at the hair dresser any longer, now can I?"

It sounds like you are on the right path. My CC was paid off almost in full 2008 and here I am back up to $14,000 again.

We are making progess though! Only one card, correct? For me, that is progress. :smileyhappy:

Serenity
iVillage Member
Mon, 10-15-2012 - 5:54pm

Michelle:

Nice to see you back here! I also left and recently returned and for the same reason as you. I got a little lazy and all of a sudden (not really, of course), I've got a bunch of CC debt again. You'd think I'd learn!

I'll bet you can get this out of the way in 12 months and then move on to your 5 year goal. I think we should make a pact to STAY on the board even after we've paid off our debt this time. It's sort of like AA in that way...accountability is huge :).

Didi 

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-16-2012 - 12:03pm

Hey there.  I find that being held accountable is a big deal for me.  If I'm not checking in, the voices in the back of my head get weaker and weaker.  When I do check in, those same voices are right at my side guiding me every step.  Good luck this time around.  Hopefully this will be the one that sticks for you.

Michele

iVillage Member
Wed, 10-17-2012 - 2:18pm

Good luck!  If you stay on that track, you will have the part of it paid off, but not all of it.  Unfortunately at $500 a  month it would take 18 mos. but you will have at least 1/3 of the debt gone and that's GREAT!  It's hard to buckle down, but maybe you can add even a little more each month.  Just remember not to use that card!  We depend upon credit way too much.  You can do it!

iVillage Member
Wed, 10-17-2012 - 4:11pm
You know us, we will keep you honest! You are a great person and have gone through enough in life to know you can always come out OK if you work toward a goal and we are here to cheer you on! You know you DESERVE a great future and sometimes that "deserving" of a drink or dinner out gets in the way of the ultimate goals. YES, YOU CAN DO IT! -Marie
#Marie
iVillage Member
Sat, 01-19-2013 - 2:15pm

Hi, I read many posts on this site, and when I read yours, I felt your pain. I'm feeling the same. I'm 43 now. When I was 34, I got divorced.  That started a mind numbing 7 or 8 years of shopping til I dropped.It was such a horrible time for me.  Being divorced, no children, and feeling the clock tick as I watched all of my friends buy their 2 story homes,mini vans, and having play dates and couples dinners.  I totally lost my compass. I was so lonely.  Living in a sad apartment,eating Stouffer dinners alone every night. Then when I did date, the men were unmerciful. Often saying, "I think your great, but I want to have kids, and lets face it you are 38."   The only solace I got was shopping.    Racking up about thirty two thousand dollars in credit card debt.   I'm embarrassed to even write the actual number.  I ran the cards up, I totally own up to it, the problem now is paying it off.  I decided that I was going to get control of this.  It feels like an enormous elephant on my back. I can't live like this anymore.  I'm worried about retirement. I should be putting more money towards that.   I managed to pay off about eight thousand so far, which still leaves me twenty four thousand more to pay.  It is so hard.  My friend said, "you paid off 3 credit  cards, that is so great".  I don't feel great because I feel like I have a mountain to climb.  I'm going to stay the course.  I've made a few goals to meet before June. Hope I can stay on the wagon.  It feels good to admit most of this.  And I'm glad that I'm not alone.  

iVillage Member
Wed, 01-23-2013 - 10:28am

Hi Ghost2u, and welcome to the boards! You are definitely not alone here! I hope you'll stick around. It is great that you paid off 3 credit cards, it is a great accomplishment, no matter how much you have left to go. You should be proud of yourself.

iVillage Member
Sat, 02-02-2013 - 3:32pm

Thank you so much for your kind words.  I really appreciate it.  I've been feeling so ashamed for so long. It just feels good to know that there are great people like you that understand.  I am getting  a nice tax return, so I can pay off 2 more credit cards.  I keep reminding myself how good I'm going to feel when I get these paid off.  That will be a wonderful day because I've been living with shame and baggage for so long.  Again, thank you for taking time out of your day to respond to me. It means the world to me. God bless. 

Pages