New to this board with a comment.

iVillage Member
New to this board with a comment.
Mon, 10-15-2012 - 9:56am
Lately I have been thinking about how lucky we are to have 2 honest hardworking men running for the position of President of the United States. I have a preference, but it makes me very hopeful to know that I am comfortable with whoever wins. I don't agree with either of them on all the issues, but they both seem like thoughtful decent men. I think that is an important observation as we move forward in this season of heated partisanship. :smileyhappy: Robin
iVillage Member
Sun, 10-21-2012 - 9:23am

I completely disagree.   So many businesses are connected to the auto industry.     Had it failed, Ohio would have gone under.   There are a lot of shops that are directly connected to Chevy, Ford, Jeep that aren't union.    Michigan was on the edge of distruction.   It's now slowly coming back.     People don't understand that the auto industry touches so many other small businesses.    Oh, Honda had big problems after the sunomi that hit Japan.   There is a plant about 45 miles from me.  They were laying off workers, they almost went under.   

Ohio is on it's way back after suffering 12% un-employment.    It's now down to 7%, Thanks to Obama.   Funny thing is Kasich(R) Governor isn't allowed to talk about it cause Romney wants people here to think Ohio is still hurting.    

iVillage Member
Sun, 10-21-2012 - 9:03pm

Yes, I know you disagree. But, I don't know what scenario you are thinking about when you reference the auto industry "failing".  What do you mean by that? Maybe I would have a better idea of what you think that Obama saved us from.

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-22-2012 - 8:50am

I think what a lot of people fail to understand, the plants in Michigan (Chevy, Chrysler-Dodge, Ford)  are assembly plants.   They assemble the cars/truck/SUV's there.    There are other plants that make windsheilds, transmissions, cruise control,  wipers, seats, sun visiors, radios. sparkplugs, etc.    These plants are very rarely union.   They are small plants scattered all over the US.   They have smaller contracts with other companies.  The auto industry is their largest client.   The majority of assembly plants have gone robotic.  They have half the workers they had in the 70's-80's.  So if they fail, a lot of other smaller plants also fail.  The majority of the bail-out was paid back.    Did  Wall Street pay back the bail-out "W" gave them?

Right now there's a plant in Freeport, Ill..   They make auto sensors.   The 170 employee's have lost their jobs.   The jobs are beig shipped to China.  The plant was taken over by........Bain Capital.    Guess who owns 51% of Bain?   Guess who will make 8 Million dollars .   

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-22-2012 - 1:47pm

As President, how will Romney send jobs to China?  Do you imagine he’ll outsource the military or the US Post Office to Beijing?  If you want to see an example of Presidential outsourcing, just take a look at the oil industry in the Gulf.  Obama imposed a moratorium and pushed productive oil platforms to relocate to Brazil.  That move killed the industry in the Gulf states…it also devastated all the ancillary businesses that support the oil industry and the communities that depended on those jobs to survive.

And liberals pushing to increase the minimum wage is what has killed job opportunities for our teenagers and  young workers.  Minimum wage jobs are supposed to be entry-level jobs and transitional jobs that give people work experience so they can move forward, they’re not “careers.”  And while it may sound like a good idea, foisting that increased cost on businesses forces them to increase the price of their goods…which ultimately hurts the poor and middle income people the most.  There are lots of unintended consequences for liberal “largess.”

It’s also every opposition party’s intention to make a President a “one-term-President.”  That’s nothing new.  Democrats did nothing but vilify Bush for two terms, but he was able to pass a lot of bi-partisan legislation.  The same with Clinton.  Obama, however, is such an extreme one-note hack that he couldn’t even get support from his own party.  He got no Democrat votes on his budgets and only passed Obamacare by arm-twisting and coercing Democrats.  The laughable “jobs bill” is just more stimulus “light”…more wasteful spending on “shovel-ready jobs that aren’t so shovel ready” and another attempt to raise taxes…after Obama had already said “you don’t raise taxes in a slow economy.”

And no, unemployment isn’t down and there are “500 people lining up for one fast food job.”  There was a min-wage salesperson job opening at our local mall recently.  The store manager said she received 300 applications in the first three days.  After that she simply stopped taking applications.  The reason the “unemployment rate” is going down is because hundreds of thousands of people each month have simply stopped looking for work and gone on permanent disability.  Those people aren’t counted as “unemployed.”  Another consideration is the elimination of jobs in their entirety.  The US has a physically smaller workforce today than we had 4 years ago.  Obama has done nothing to improve employment and many things to discourage it.

And no, again, Obama didn’t “save the auto industry.”  As Tripower mentioned, all Obama did was illegally throw legitimate investors out, waste billions and billions of taxpayer dollars and hand control of GM to his union cronies and push his failed green agenda.  Just google GM today and you’ll see that it’s not thriving…it’s quickly heading back towards bankruptcy as a direct result of Obama interference.

Obama has been nothing but a destructive force on the US economy…and his failed foreign policies have incited hatred of the US across the Middle East, and directly led to the deaths of 4 Americans in Libya…all while Obama partied in Las Vegas.

Never again.  Romney gets my vote.

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-22-2012 - 4:12pm

Romney is/was a corporate  raider.    Bain Capital sent many jobs to China.   Ya know, where all those women were in a dorm type setting behind barbed wire fences, making less than a dollar an hour.   Romney was bragging about it on his 47% tape.   

The minimum wage dog whistle is just  a joke.   First, a lot of those working for minimum wage are single parents.   Not teens.   Employers have cut wages so much that some are lucky to even have a minimum wage job.   The idea that raising it will hurt business is ridiculous.   We hear the right screaming about those on Food Stamps.  But yet employers won't give raises, so they can hoard all the money and keep the poor even poorer.    They are also using the same tactic on those with Degrees.   I know many people that have taken a pay cut to keep their job.   Then the boss builds a new house, buys a new car, takes vacations while the employee's worry about making it thru the month.      If raises were given, people could afford things like FOOD, shelter, heck, maybe even a newer car.     Of course there were 300 people applying for one job.   The holiday season is coming up and people aren't getting raises, need the extra money.    

Obama has been drilling for more oil.   Today, gas was $3.29 a gallon here.   Maybe if people walked more they could lose weight, conserve gas and drive the price of gas down even more.    Just a few years ago, when we had a "Poor gas man, from Texas" gas was $4.00 a gallon.     

Romney is a pathological Liar and will say anything to get elected.      My vote will be for Obama/Biden.

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-22-2012 - 5:06pm

I think you’ve been getting too much information from the PleaseElectObama newsletter.  Romney was never a corporate raider, he ran a private equity firm…emphasis on “private,” compared to Obama who has invested billions and billions of taxpayer dollars in company after company of his political cronies, that have all gone belly-up.  Imagine if that money went to our schools.  In fact, during his tenure at Bain, Mitt had an 80% success rate in turning businesses around and making them profitable. Home Depot alone employs 300,000 people, directly attributable to the investment and management of Mitt Romney and Bain Capital…and that’s just one of Romney’s success stories.

As for outsourcing jobs to China, like a good many other people, including Obama and probably you, Romney has investments in foreign companies…so what?  Have you ever bought anything that was not American made?  Then you’re guilty of supporting outsourcing.  The whole argument gets kind of silly really.  But Obama really did outsource a HUGE part of the oil industry when he put a moratorium on drilling in the Gulf and drove the platforms to Brazil.  He put thousands and thousands of people out of work in the Gulf states.  And his answer was…not “we want America energy independent”…it was “we want to be Brazil’s biggest oil customer.”  Imagine how those thousands of poor and unemployed people in the Gulf states felt when he said that.

And what about the thousands and thousands of people who suddenly became unemployed when Obama forced hundreds of auto dealerships to close?  Save the auto industry, indeed.

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-22-2012 - 5:48pm

And minimum wage…no it’s not a joke. It’s harmed a lot of people and damaged a lot of businesses.  First, a lot of those single parents who are working for minimum wage are the reason that teens, young workers and seniors can’t get jobs…and they wouldn’t be working at those jobs if liberals hadn’t forced the wage increase.

Second, imposing increased wages (and also health insurance with Obamacare) forces businesses to increase prices.  Higher priced goods and services make American companies unable to compete with foreign companies…which promotes outsourcing or drives the American company out of business and costs jobs.  Again, the unintended consequences of liberal “largess.”

And your impression of employers “hoarding all the money” is ridiculous…and clearly comes from the point of view of someone who had never run a business.  Raises are usually based on two things…merit and profit.  Merit aside, if there is no profit, or if the cost of doing business increases (thanks to Obama’s economic policies), then the owner can’t afford to give raises whether they want to or not.  Employers WANT to keep their employees happy.  They’ve invested in training and infrasstructure, they don’t want that employee to leave and go work for a competitor.

And who cares if the boss builds a new house or buys a new car?  He’s doing those things based on his salary, and none of it is at the expense of other employees.  He’s paid more because he’s worth more to the company.  Just like a manager is worth more than regular office worker and a VP is worth more than a manager.  If people want to be paid more then they have to work hard and move up the ladder, or acquire the skills and knowledge that make them more valuable…but they certainly shouldn’t cry because they’re sleeping in the bed they’ve made.

There were 300 people applying for the job because Obama’s policies have failed and a low-paying sales job is the best job many people can find…or at least apply for.

And Romney…unlike Obama, he’s proven himself to be a capable and experienced leader.  Romney has a track record of success…Obama has a track record of failure.  During the campaign, we’ve seen many, many friends and associates come forward to share stories about Mitt’s integrity and personal generosity…but no one has ever come forth to share their personal stories about Obama’s integrity and personal generosity…because there are none.

Romney/Ryan 2012.

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-22-2012 - 5:56pm

And again, no…Obama has not been drilling for more oil.  He’s cut Federal oil exploration, vetoed the Keystone Pipeline and killed oil production in the Gulf.  I think it’s also a little insensitive to suggest that the poor and seniors, or anyone else for that matter, should walk to lose weight and conserve gas.  Maybe they can’t walk miles to the market or have the strength to haul bags of groceries across town.  And maybe it’s impractical to suggest someone walk for hours to get to a job that might have taken even a hour to get to by car.

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-22-2012 - 6:04pm

Really?   Really?   What a crock.   I never said seniors should walk to a job.   I find the last post very amusing.    I'm 60 years old.  Have NO car.  Walk every where.  Carry heavy bags back from the grocery store.  Had TWO heart attacks.   Half of my heart is DEAD and the other half is only pumping at 35 %.    My Dr. told me to keep doing whatever I'm doing cause it's working.    Please, proceed.  

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-22-2012 - 7:07pm

No, you didn’t say “seniors should walk to a job” you used the word “people” and, like the “47%” comment liberals like to harp on, there are a host of groups included in the word “people”…including seniors and the poor.

There were a number of other, more important issues, raised in previous posts...perhaps it would be best to discuss them, rather than spend time quibbling about who should walk and how far. ; )

And while I applaud your ability to “walk everywhere” and “carry heavy bags back from the grocery store” that simply isn’t an option for everyone, and Obama’s attacks on “big oil” only makes everyone’s lives more difficult.