Farthing by Jo Walton

iVillage Member
Farthing by Jo Walton
Mon, 10-15-2012 - 12:38pm

Farthing by Jo Walton 319 pages 10/10/12 pub 2006

Wow! Wowwowwow! I love this kind of book. It’s alternate history, making it also a sub- branch of science fiction, which is (one of the) genres I love reading. It’s also a complex mystery. And it’s set in a brand new to me created world with living, breathing, great characters.

Set on an English country estate, in one week, years after World War II ended, but ended with Hitler still in power, just not in England. There’s the “Upstairs Downstairs” intimate knowledge of the characters, the wealthy and the servants, and their relationships. Meanwhile, there is the created, or just emphasized anti- Semitism, when one the ladies of the house marries a wealthy English Jew. Then there’s the reality of the gay characters; Athenians are men and women who will not or cannot be married to the opposite sex, whose relationships are illegal. Then there are Macedonians who once had gay or lesbian affairs but they can also love their husbands and wives. Also, it’s the first book in a trilogy, at least so far. Yay!

Julia

iVillage Member
Mon, 11-12-2012 - 12:22pm

I usually don't like science fiction, but this sounds really interesting--actually sf isn't the correct genre.  What?  Futuristic?  Thanks for the review