DH - business traveler?

iVillage Member
DH - business traveler?
Mon, 10-15-2012 - 2:43pm

my DH currently travels only very lightly for business.  he's gone only a couple nights per month, and right now it's just the two of us.

a company flew him out today for a job interview today for a position he really wants.  he's expecting an offer and it would be a great step in furthering his career as well as an increase in pay.  our only hesitation is the 40-70% travel requirement.  this is our first baby, and i have a feeling i'm going to need him home to help me figure out this baby business!

i have a 4-month maternity leave (YAY, my company's policy just changed and now i get a leave) so i'm sure i'll be able to figure out that part.  but when i have to go back to working full time in addition to baby duties, daycare dropoff/pick up, etc... am i going to be able to handle it on my own while he's gone that much?  with my commute and FT schedule, i'm currently away from home for 11 hours per day, M-F.

wondering if any of you BTDT ladies have hubbies who travel a lot for work?  any comments/support/suggestions welcome and appreciated.

Diane

Expecting #1 (a boy!) on January 16, 2013

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-15-2012 - 7:07pm

Sorry, hun I can't relate DH works from home right now. His idea scenario would be to get a job out of the home and let me stay home, but I want to finish out the school year and work one more year, so I can buy myself a car for my 30th birthday (2014).

If he's going to make more pay, is there anyway you can stay home or at least cut your hours to PT work? That way you're with the baby more while he's away. That's nice that you get a 4-month maternity leave. I get eight weeks (2 using my vacation time and the other six with STD @2/3 of my income).

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-23-2012 - 9:30am
DH didn't get the job, which we think is a blessing in disguise. though it would have been great to receive an offer, we're not sure we could've accepted it. travel of up to 70% right now would likely just be too much, but it would have tempted us to consider it. so now we move forward and try to find something great for him that allows him to stay in town more!

Diane

Expecting #1 (a boy!) on January 16, 2013