One NYPD officer's random act of kindness

iVillage Member
One NYPD officer's random act of kindness
Fri, 11-30-2012 - 8:55am

On a cold November night in Times Square, Officer Lawrence DePrimo was working a counterterrorism post when he encountered an older, barefooted homeless man. The officer disappeared for a moment, then returned with a new pair of boots, and knelt to help the man put them on.

The act of kindness would have gone unnoticed and mostly forgotten, had it not been for a tourist from Arizona.

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/50007300/ns/today-the_new_york_times/t/photo-police-officer-giving-boots-barefoot-man-warms-hearts-online/#.ULdlEayx8nU

Character really is what you do when you think no one is watching.

Have you witnessed any random acts of kindness?

iVillage Member
Fri, 11-30-2012 - 10:26am
This is one of the best stories I've read today... such a wonderful example of simple human kindness. I bet his parents are proud of him; I know I would be.

iVillage Member
Fri, 11-30-2012 - 10:39am

Oh goodness... here's another RAOK...

A wealthy Missouri man posing as "Secret Santa" stunned New Yorkers, handing $100 bills to many in Staten Island who had lost everything to Superstorm Sandy.
http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/11/30/15569055-secret-santa-hands-out-100-bills-to-stunned-sandy-survivors-in-staten-island?lite

I do hope people realize that not every random act of kindness need involve money, especially since so many are dealing with economic issues of their own. We all need to remember that sometimes, just a kind word or a friendly smile can touch someone else's life in a very positive way. 

iVillage Member
Fri, 11-30-2012 - 10:54am

I love RAOK stories!! I could read them all day! In fact I quickly got pulled in to the other stories that were linked below this article- newlywed gives back by giving away gown, cheerleaders shave heads to support coach...like someone in this story said, "it really restores your faith in humanity"!

Lisa 

Community Leader
Fri, 11-30-2012 - 11:05am
What a great story, even better that he just did it out of the kindness of his own heart and didn't expect anyone to know.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Fri, 11-30-2012 - 11:41am

I saw an older woman in Walmart pay for another woman's groceries a few weeks ago. We were all standing in line when a hispanic woman with several small children was being rung up. When her total came up, she was several dollars short and was selecting items to put back. A nicely dressed older woman who was in line walked up and handed the checker a $20 bill, turned to the woman and said, please take this. The mother tried to say no but the older woman would not have it. The older lady told the mother that if she was ever in a position to help someone else out then please do.

There were several of us in line watching that mother put stuff back and most of us didn't think anything about it until after that older woman stepped up to help. I had never seen what I would consider a random act of kindness until I saw that and it is something I will never forget.

Thank God we still have people like that older woman and the NYPD officer in this world.

iVillage Member
Fri, 11-30-2012 - 6:28pm
It's nice to see this. Yes, I see acts of kindness, One aide I know at the school helps this boy she assists in school and out of school too, She takes him shopping for clothes and she buys him food, She lends a hand and helps his mother with things. This all comes natural to her and she's an inspiration.

iVillage Member
Fri, 11-30-2012 - 8:05pm

Edited, Double post. 

iVillage Member

cmlisab wrote:
I love RAOK stories!! I could read them all day!

Me too!

iVillage Member

Very good point about not needing money for a RAOK. I think that might be what holds some people back, assuming they have nothing to give.