Shooting Reported at Lone Star College in Texas

iVillage Member
Shooting Reported at Lone Star College in Texas
Tue, 01-22-2013 - 2:37pm

Sheriff’s deputies were responding to reports that shots were fired at a Houston-area community college with multiple people wounded.

NBC station KPRC-TV reported that investigators were working to determine if there was an active shooter on the North Harris campus of Lone Star College. 

Live aerial video taken by the station showed emergency crews moving two people on stretchers into ambulances. Dozens of police vehicles were visible. 

Police officers in SWAT gear were shown on the video entering buildings on the campus. It was unclear how many people were injured or if the people seen on the stretchers had been shot. At least one person has been detained at the college, deputy constables told KPRC, but they did not say if that person was suspected of shooting anyone. Deputies were also searching for another possible suspect who fled the scene.

Pages

iVillage Member
Tue, 01-22-2013 - 2:43pm

This just makes me sick.  Is it me, or are there more and more of these shootings taking place lately?  It seems like there is a new one each week. :( 

I hope they find the person responsible and that there are no fatalities.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Tue, 01-22-2013 - 2:43pm

OMG. When will this end?!? We seriously need to think about following Australia's example and ban automatic and semi-automatic guns, NOW.

http://www.npr.org/2012/12/21/167814684/australians-urge-u-s-to-look-at-their-gun-laws

Thoughts and prayers going out to all the victims :(

iVillage Member
Tue, 01-22-2013 - 2:44pm

I just heard it was between two people, and one is shot and in custody and the other is no longer on the campus. They don't seem to have much information yet. 

iVillage Member
Tue, 01-22-2013 - 2:46pm

How absolutely horrible! I just pray no one got killed.

Nancy
iVillage Member
Tue, 01-22-2013 - 2:51pm

jillybean458 wrote:
<p>OMG. When will this end?!? We seriously need to think about following Australia's example and ban automatic and semi-automatic guns, NOW.</p><p><a href="http://www.npr.org/2012/12/21/167814684/australians-urge-u-s-to-look-at-their-gun-laws" rel="nofollow">http://www.npr.org/2012/12/21/167814684/australians-urge-u-s-to-look-at-their-gun-laws</a></p><p>Thoughts and prayers going out to all the victims :(</p>

Geez, you could at least wait and see if either one of those types of guns was even involved with this particular shooting before you start beating that drum again.

iVillage Member
Tue, 01-22-2013 - 2:51pm

Let's wait and see the details before talking about weapon bans. I honestly don't see it as the answer to these problems anyways. I think a ban on graphic shoot-em up movies and games would be a much better solution.

Nancy
iVillage Member

How many people have to die before gun laws are changed? I cannot believe that people still have the nerve to say that gun laws are not resolution. It makes me very sad.

iVillage Member
Wed, 01-23-2013 - 11:49am

Lone Star is right up the street from the Houston neighborhood we used to live, How terrilble! And for the record, Some of that campus is across the street from a suburbia elementary school, Not ok! This needs to stop and my heart goes out to those affected.

iVillage Member
Thu, 01-24-2013 - 6:45am
Are you tired of going office daily? Earn 50$ per hour working from home with Google! I've made $64,000 so far this year working online and I'm a full time student. Im using an online business opportunity I heard about and I've made such great money. It's really user friendly and I'm just so happy that I found out about it. Here is what I do, http://goo.gl/BhPOZ (Click on ‘Home’ for details)
iVillage Member

To Jeansforme*:

Why?  When will the tipping point be reached?  How many deaths are "too many"?  Does it have to be somebody you personally know and love, being shot by an automatic or semi-automatic weapon, to have an epiphany that the saturation of guns in the U.S. is grossly beyond acceptance for a "free state"?   For that matter, why do people feel the need to "defend" themselves with concealed weapons?  Why don't people work for judicial reform (if the cause is recidivism)?  Why do people persist in ignoring the introductory clause to the Second Amendment, the part in which context for RKBA is clearly set forth? 

I have asked for decades why people feel the need to carry a firearm of any sort.  Some of the answers make sense, particularly for those who live in rural areas where agriculture and ranching make carrying a weapon reasonable.  I also understand that hunters may bring in enough meat to justify the cost of a weapon, hunting license, and other BASIC equipment (not ATV's, RV's, fancy camo, etc.).  I never could understand why people would get a thrill from the kill alone.  Isn't that more than a little disturbing, ie, mental illness? 

Last but not least, why do we require licensing of both vehicles and drivers for motorized transport (primary purpose of which supposedly is to make sure that others engaged in motorized transport on the nation's roads and highways are safe), when we do not require those same precautions for actual weapons of death and injury?  What part of that makes ANY sense? 

*I still have not figured out a method to the madness of HOW the message boards work when I select the "reply" button and my response is directed (by iVillage) to myself!

Jabberwocka

Pages