Supreme Court decision on same-sex marriage: Yay or Nay

iVillage Member
Supreme Court decision on same-sex marriage: Yay or Nay
Wed, 03-27-2013 - 1:04pm

So what do you think the final verdict is going to be when the Supreme Court makes it's decision about recognizing same-sex marriage? Why?  

iVillage Member

I don't know.  I prefer that the states handle this individually, and it sounds like maybe that's the way the justices are leaning.  On the other hand, maybe it does need to be addressed at the federal level.  I'm for gay marriage.  Why not?  It's not like churches will be forced to marry gay couples if they don't want to. 

iVillage Member

I think they are going to vote to recognize it. There is not really any valid reason outside of religion why they shouldn't.

iVillage Member

I read this earlier today:

The oral arguments came a day after the court signaled that it is unlikely to issue a sweeping ruling declaring that same-sex couples have a constitutional right to marry.

http://nbcpolitics.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/03/27/17485760-justices-signal-they-might-strike-down-federal-marriage-law?lite

Honestly, that's how I think this will end up and that's how I've felt from the beginning.  Sadly I don't think our nation is ready to be fully accepting of others and their sexual orientation.

photo makesmewondersig_zps5842bb06.png

iVillage Member
This is a very tough question to answer. I grew up very religious but am kind of not sure I believe the way I used to believe about one-man and one-woman marriages.
iVillage Member
I've never had a problem with the idea of gay marriage. My mom was very religious and would have been against it but me and my Dad are much more laid back. I hope they decide in favor but who knows with this court?
iVillage Member

I think it's important that the court try and separate the religious aspects from the legal aspects. My hope is that they leave the right to marry at the state level - as it should be. But once a couple is married, it is required by other states to recognize that marriage in terms of benefits and social services. 

If two women marry or form a civil union or any other sort of long term legally recognized commitment according to the government, they should be able to provide insurance for each other, file taxes together and enjoy the same tax considerations as couples who are one man and one woman. 

Build your own free website for your family pictures! www.totsites.com