Paula Deen

iVillage Member
Paula Deen
Mon, 06-24-2013 - 10:31am

Stick a fork in this butterball — she’s been deep fried and deep-sixed by the Food Network.

Celebrity chef Paula Deen, 66, was canned by the cable channel on Friday after releasing a groveling video apology on YouTube for using the N-word and cracking racist jokes at her Savannah, Ga., restaurant.

Friday, officials at the channel, where Deen rose to fame with her brand of butter and deep-fried fueled down-home Southern cooking, said they would not renew her contract, which expires at the end of the month.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/gossip/paula-deen-issues-video-apology-racial-slur-article-1.1379262#ixzz2X8zSYdv2

Do you agree with the decision to fire Paula Deen from the Food Network? Do you think her empire will survive?

photo snowsiggy.png

iVillage Member
Mon, 06-24-2013 - 11:04am

I love Paula Deen and I completely disagree with the decision to fire her. She said she was sorry and wouldn't make racist comments again. Give her a break!

iVillage Member
Mon, 06-24-2013 - 11:55am

Food Network has every right to protect their business, but I don't think the firing will make a huge dent in her empire.  I'm sure that she'll show up another channel, she still has lots of fans.    It's up to them on how they feel about her now, and if you were a true fan before than I don't see this changing it.   I do find it funny that they keep passing around a story how the only time in her life she used the word was when talking to her husband after she was mugged.   They'll wear their blinders for however long they want to, that's their choice just as it's Food Network's choice to let her go.  I haven't heard anything about them canning her son's show, sounds like they have been wanting her out for awhile.  

She is the product of a racial environment growing up.  You would think that she would have learned this lesson way before now, but obviously she hasn't.  I'm sure she's not the only person of her generation that grew up in the south using that word.      

I do think it's insane that she's being sued for $1.2 million, from what I read in the article that sounds like total crap.  But that's another debate on the problems with our legal system!   I don't understand how it can be used so often by the black community if it's such an offensive word, that one still boggles my mind.  I'd be asking the plaintiff is she had ever used the word in her life! 

Chelsea

"Minds are like parachutes. They only function when they are open."

iVillage Member
Mon, 06-24-2013 - 3:06pm

You know, at first I thought this was a bit of an over reaction by the network b/c the story was she said these things years ago and people can change. But the more I hear from people who know her currently, the more it seems like she never did change. Undecided

iVillage Member
Mon, 06-24-2013 - 10:30pm

Boo Hoo! Paula said a bad word years and years ago.  It's not like she's the only person to use the word...including blacks themselves...or the only person to say something negative about other people, especially in the general sense, and especially in private.

Frankly, the Food Network are a bunch of gutless prigs.  I'm not a fan at all, but I hate PC hypocrisy and I hope that all of Paula's millions of fans boycott the Food Network and make them pay for their stupidity.

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-25-2013 - 1:39pm
She made a mistake years ago. Remember she comes from the south and in the 60's the "n word" was often used. She did apologize, and she was wrong. I have lived in the south for just about my entire life, and I can remember people of color had to use diferent rest rooms, drinking fountains, they could not eat in a "white restaurant", they had separate schools, and the list goes on.
iVillage Member
Wed, 06-26-2013 - 9:29am

I joined the interview late.  I do feel sorry for Paula.  She seemed very sincere.  Right now it just seems like a witch hunt.  I do not like her recipes or her style of cooking.  Too much butter, sugar and cream, but give the poor gal a break.  She made a mistake, she owned up to it and she apologized.  Remember, it is usually the "people of color" that refer to themselves by the N word.   Could this be all about publicity?  Even negative publicity is still publicity.  I just wonder who the next victim of a media witch hunt will be?  

iVillage Member
Fri, 06-28-2013 - 4:21pm

I haven't paid too much attention to the details on this, but "witch hunt" and "misogyny" seem to have a prominent role.

Personally, I would have considered an assertion that she had never used the word a greater offensive. It would seem a bit like being a Holocaust denier. She was a part of the South that used and tolerated the word, to assert that she was "above all that" would have been far worse, IMVHO.It would have implied that "good" people never did such a thing and that, therefore, all good people were against the "bad" people who did. That simply isn't true. People who were otherwise decent and good DO get caught up in the bad behaviors of their culture.  It didn't seem to me that she is proud of it, just that she did it, and she is sorry for it. What more is there? Seems like a bit of a "cast the first stone" situation to me.

Of course, there could be more to the story than the deposition and maybe that is what the uproar is abou, but I haven't heard about that part.

Perhaps someone will read this post and think that I am condoning racism, but I am not. I don't approve of misogyny either.