My great grandma's dumplings

iVillage Member
My great grandma's dumplings
Sun, 11-23-2003 - 9:41pm
Ok, after making a not so hot batch on Thursday I finally have it down. We usually serve these with a Roast Pork and sourkraute.

Ingredients:

2 cups flour

1 teaspoon salt

1 cup milk

2 eggs

1/2 packet dry yeast

1 stick of butter melted

4 pieces of bread cut into cubes

Fry the bread in butter to make crutons. Set aside.

Mix the flour and salt in a large mixing bowl and set aside.

Heat the milk to 110 degrees and add the yeast. LEt sit a few minutes till you see that the yeast is doing it'st hing. (this was where I messed up)

Then beat the eggs into the milk

Pour the milk and egg mixture into the flour. Add the melted butter and mix with a wooden spoon until a thick consistency. shouldstill be easily workable with a spoon. Mix in croutons.

Wet hands and make large size balls (about 2 inch diameter)and drop into boiling water. Cook 20 minutes covered.

There you have it.

Diane

iVillage Member
Mon, 11-24-2003 - 12:18am

Diane...how interesting....so, does the dumpling have a bit of crunch with the crouton in it?

iVillage Member
Mon, 11-24-2003 - 7:38am
I just made chicken and dumplings last night.
TracyPalmPoster.jpg picture by cl-daisy526
iVillage Member
Mon, 11-24-2003 - 10:14am
The crutons don't make it crunch, htey are softened. ANd they aren't super hard croutons to start with since your just frying bread in butter basically. ;-)

Yes, you drop them into plain boiling water. They are a side dish on their own. :-)

Diane

iVillage Member
Mon, 11-24-2003 - 10:17am
Let me know how they work in chicken and dumplins since I've never had them that way. My fathers side of the family is eastern european. These are part of a traditional pork and sourkraut and dumpling dinenr so that's how they've always been served to me. I'd love to hear how they are in chicken and dumplings. I'm sure they'd work fine. The do puff up a bit and are bigger than most dumplins I've seen with chicken & dumplings so you might want to try smaller balls but that's just me thinking out loud. ;-)

Diane

iVillage Member
Wed, 12-10-2003 - 4:58pm
How would I incorporate these into chicken and dumplings? (Or turkey since I've got some of that, too.) As I stated in my question on chicken leftovers, I think I'd like to make some. My MIL uses Bisquick for her dumplings (she showed me how to make them once and I vaguely remember...), but I'd like to do her one better for my husband. Not that I'm trying to upstage my MIL, but I'm still learning this cooking thing. I figure I can play around as long as I'm not working or in school since I (un)fortunately have free days.

Thanks,

Laura