REC: Marvelous Mashed Potatoes w/Bacon

iVillage Member
REC: Marvelous Mashed Potatoes w/Bacon
Sun, 06-06-2004 - 3:54pm
Marvelous Mashed Potatoes With Bacon

• 4 to 6 thick slices smoked bacon (4 to 6 ounces uncooked), cut crosswise into 1/2-inch pieces

• 2 pounds Idaho or baking potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices

• 6 ounces baby spinach

• 2 tablespoons milk, warmed

• 3 tablespoons unsalted butter

• 1 cup (3 1/2 to 4 ounces) grated Fontina cheese

• Coarse (kosher) salt and freshly ground pepper

In a medium-heavy skillet, cook the bacon pieces over low to medium-low heat, turning as needed to achieve uniform crispness. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to a paper towel to drain.

In a large saucepan, cover the potatoes with cold, salted water. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook until the potatoes are tender, 20 to 30 minutes. Drain the potatoes.

Meanwhile, remove the stems from the spinach, rinse and lightly shake. Put the spinach in a steamer over boiling water, or put it in a heavy pan, cover and cook over medium heat, shaking the pan several times, until wilted, 2 to 3 minutes. Drain well. Cool slightly and squeeze out as much moisture as possible. Set aside.

Mash potatoes in large bowl and add milk and butter and stir until smooth. Add the cheese, spinach and bacon, and stir until the cheese melts. Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve immediately.

Yield: 4 servings

Per serving: 418 calories; 23 g fat (13 g saturated fat; 50 percent calories from fat); 39 g carbohydrates; 66 mg cholesterol; 480 mg sodium; 15 g protein; 6 g fiber.

Recipe from: Everything Tastes Better with Bacon by Sara Perry (Chronicle Books)

I think this recipe has Tracy's name written all over it... lol

BabyFoot.jpg picture by cl-daisy526

iVillage Member
Thu, 06-10-2004 - 9:49pm
I'm reading the title of that book thinking that I missed the boat somewhere.
TracyPalmPoster.jpg picture by cl-daisy526