Great Scrapple!

iVillage Member
Great Scrapple!
Wed, 08-04-2004 - 2:46pm
After reading the discussion about scrapple, I thought I would share this recipe. It doesn't have to be made with the scraps that no one wants for anything else, although that was obviously the original intent of it. This is a version for the squeamish! It is similar to the molded, fried grits that my mother used to make. You can substitute grits for the cornmeal in this recipe, if desired. This can also be made with leftover scraps of ham or bacon, instead of the sausage.

Sausage Scrapple

1 cup cornmeal

1 cup cold water

1 teaspoon salt

4 cups boiling water

1/2 pound seasoned sausage, cooked, with most fat drained

All-purpose flour

Shortening or oil

Combine cornmeal, cold water, and salt. Put boiling water in heavy, scorch resistant saucepan. Add cornmeal mixture slowly. Cook and stir until thickened. Cover. Simmer gently for about 15 minutes, stirring frequently. When thick, stir in sausage. Pour into greased loaf pan. Cover, child in fridge overnight or for several hours, until solid. Unmold. Cut into 1/4 inch slices. Flour both sides. Brown in frying pan with a little oil or shortening, until edges are crisp. Serve immediately, plain or with gravy or maple syrup.

iVillage Member
In reply to: noelani1
Wed, 08-04-2004 - 5:09pm
WOW... that sounds delicious!

BabyFoot.jpg picture by cl-daisy526