Baked Tomatoes

iVillage Member
Baked Tomatoes
Sun, 02-20-2005 - 5:03pm

I tried this Rachael Ray recipe the other night as a side dish for roast pork - we really liked them a lot - for those of you who do not like cilantro - you can just use a bit more parsley. I did not use beefsteak tomatoes - I used 4 medium sized tomatoes and just cut off the top and scooped them out.

Lemon, Garlic & Cilantro Baked Stuffed Tomatoes

2 beefsteak tomatoes
salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 cup whole milk ricotta cheese (I used part skim)
1 large lemon, zested, about 2 tablespoons
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
3/4 cup flt-leaf parsley, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
2 scallions, finely chopped
1/3 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
1 egg yolk
Extra-virgin olive oil for drizzling

Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.

If using large tomatoes you will need to make 4 tomato cups out of your 2 tomatoes. cut a very thin slice off bottom of tomatoes - if using medium tomatoes - cut off tops and scoop out seeds and pulp from the wide, fleshy side of each tomato cup. You don't have to be too fussy about this. You are just trying to create enough room to hold the filling. When scooping take care not to puncture through the bottoms of the cups. If you do puncture it, don't worry. Season the inside of the tomato cavities with salt and pepper. Set aside -

In a small mixing bowl combine the ricotta cheese, lemon zest, cilantro, parsley, garlic , scallions, Parmigiano and season with salt and pepper. Taste the mixture. This is your last chance to adjust the seasoning. Once you're happy with the flavor, add the egg yolk and mix thoroughly. Divide the filling between the 4 tomato cup cavities, pushing it into the cavity with a rubber spatula or spoon. Drizzle olive oil into a baking dish. Arrange your stuffed tomatoes in the dish, transfer to the hot oven and bake for 15-17 minutes. The stuffing and the tomatoes should be fully cooked and the top should be lightly brown.

photo RainyDay_zpsece18f80.jpg