10 Things you didn't know about Eggs ...

iVillage Member
10 Things you didn't know about Eggs ...
Fri, 04-20-2007 - 9:51pm

Wasn't sure where to post this- wanted to share from the Rachael Ray magazine:

1. Brown eggs are no better then white, they're just wearing a different outfit!

2. The biggest eggs come from the oldest hens. When in doubt stick to large- most recipes call for them.

3. Cage-free eggs aren't the same as free range; the former comes from hens raised indoors, but not in cages. The latter roam free outdoors.

4. When they're hard boiled, older eggs (1-2 weeks from purchase date) are easier to peel then fresher ones.

5. Fresh eggs sink in a bowl of water, older eggs float.

6. An egg has 17,000 tiny pores- and they can let in unwanted odors, so keep eggs refrigerated in their carton.

7. Spin an egg to see if it's cooked. If it spins smoothly it's hard boiled, if it wobbles it is raw.

8. Salt is the best egg cleaner-upper: just pour some over the mess and wipe clean.

9. The number of A's matters for batteries, not for eggs. The grade refers to how much the egg spreads when cracked.

10. You'd need a math degree to figure out an egg's expiration date, so play it safe and keep a carton no longer then 3 weeks..

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sun, 04-22-2007 - 8:01am
Interesting, thanks Renee.
I had a heck of a time peeling eggs last Thursday for Kyle's lunch! I even d id them over because they were so mangled! But the second ones did the same. Now I know it's was cuz they were fresh! lol
Photobucket