SKILLET BAKED ZITI

iVillage Member
SKILLET BAKED ZITI
Thu, 05-24-2007 - 9:42am

This is the best quick and easy recipe I've made in a while. My husband deemed it as "big time restaurant quality!" It took about 20 minutes to prep and then throw in the oven. If you don't have an oven-safe skillet, you can use a casserole dish. The recipe is from "The Best 30 Minute Recipes (Cook's Illustrated)"- if you don't have that book, it is WONDERFUL!! I didn't have ziti, so I used penne. Don't be afraid of the red pepper flakes- my 6 year old loved it- it wasn't spicy. I made this again for a friend who is on bed-rest and they raved too!

Picture here:
http://www.recipesandentertaining.com/Main%20Dishes%20Pasta/Main%20Dishes%20Pasta%20Recipes/Skillet%20Baked%20Ziti.htm#TOP%20OF%20HOME%20PAGE

Skillet Baked Ziti

1 Tbs olive oil
6 cloves garlic, minced
¼ tsp red pepper flakes
salt and freshly ground black pepper
28 oz can crushed tomatoes
3 cups water
12 ounces ziti (3¾ cups)
½ cup heavy whipping cream
½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
¼ cup minced fresh basil
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese

1. Preheat oven to 475°F. Place oven rack in middle position. Measure out water and pasta.

2. Combine oil, garlic, pepper flakes, and ½ teaspoon salt in 12-inch ovensafe nonstick skillet and sauté over medium-high heat until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add crushed tomatoes, water, ziti, and ½ teaspoon salt. Cover and cook, stirring often and adjusting heat as needed to maintain a vigorous simmer, until ziti is almost tender, 15 to 18 minutes. While pasta is cooking, measure out cream, Parmesan and basil.

3. Stir in cream, Parmesan and basil. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Sprinkle mozzarella evenly over ziti. Transfer skillet to oven and bake until cheese has melted and browned, about 10 minutes. Serve.

Servings: 4

Cooking Tips
*Be sure to preheat your oven before assembling the ingredients.
**If your skillet is not ovensafe, transfer the pasta mixture into a shallow 2-quart casserole dish before sprinkling with the cheese and baking.
***Penne may be used in place of ziti.

Recipe Source
Modified from The Best 30 Minute Recipe

iVillage Member
Thu, 05-24-2007 - 12:25pm

Whoops! I just realized that I put this in the side dish category! Any way to move it to main dishes?

Sorry...

iVillage Member
Thu, 05-24-2007 - 5:02pm
Sounds yummy, I'm always looking for more pasta dishes!!

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Jenn...Mommy to Mackenzie (9/21/06) and Carter (12/31/06)

iVillage Member
Thu, 05-24-2007 - 9:46pm
It's no problem.... but if you want, just post it again in the main dish folder.

BabyFoot.jpg picture by cl-daisy526