Thinking about trying to plant flowers..

iVillage Member
Thinking about trying to plant flowers..
Thu, 03-27-2003 - 8:16pm
Hi. My name is Heather and I live in the southeast. I am thinking about trying my hand at flowers or plants outdoors. We live in a condo so I don't have a very big front porch. Maybe enough room for a couple of planters. My kitchen window is also on the front of the house as well so a window box wouldn't be too bad either. The front of my house faces north.

Here's my dilemma...I have a 20mo. old and a dog who I don't want playing with or eating my flowers. Keep in mind I've never done this before and don't know anything about flowers..lol. But are there any flowers that really don't attract bees, etc. or would I be safer with plants? My house just looks so plain compared to some of the others. My DH and I both work so we definitely need something that's low maintenance.

Thanks for your help.

Heather

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-28-2003 - 7:19am
Hi Heather! Welcome to the board. Hopefully others will chime in - particularly those in the south. Personally - I have a recommendation or two for your potential north-facing window boxes. They will be up out of reach of your dogs and kids - so you should be safe enough there. Impatiens will like a north-facing windowbox - and wont attract bees as much. You could mix those in with some coleus - which is a beautiful plant with multi-colored leaves - choose whichever colors you like. For your containers - which I assume will be within reach of your kids and dogs - you may want to consider edible plants. Provided your north-facing deck gets a few hours of sun - you may be ok with chives, thyme, basil, sage, oregano. If it's not very sunny - you are going to find it harder to use edibles. Some edible blooming plants that like quite a lot of sun, are cosmos, calendula, nasturtium. Is there any chance you can hang potted plants from your roof?

~ S n o w ~

~*Snow*~

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-28-2003 - 8:07am
Welcome hlgg! North facing plants in the south are rather easier than up north. Some plants that need a lot of sun up north do well down south because they do get more light. I agree with snow about impatiens. For cool weather you could even go with pansies. They might even keep on blooming throughout the winter for you, and they are so edible that you can use the flowers in salads. Now, to add green color, dusty miller or lambs ears won't harm your dogs, but they tend to stay away from them anyway due to the texture of their leaves.

Impatiens are great for butterflies and humming birds too, and will bring them to your window for you, so go for them, and you will get more than just flower color from them.

There is a plant called a (hummingbird/butterfly) weed....it needs a trellis to grow on, and for some reason, doesn't attract many bees, as it's flowers are deep and narrow. The flowers are red, and shaped like the hummingbird vine trumpets, but much narrower. You can grow them on a short trellis, and just keep pruning them off to hold them at bay. I've seen them held at 3 feet, and I let mine go to over 8 myself.

Mitch

iVillage Member
Sat, 03-29-2003 - 9:16am
May I add this to my earlier reply: On the north side of my home, where there is very little sun, and the soil seems to stay wet longest, I had put in a dozen asiatic lillies three years ago. This past fall, I dug them all up, did some soil ammending, and put all the bulbs, babies and all back into it. Most of them are now over 6 inches tall already, and my tulips havn't even bloomed yet. They can be put into containers very well, and cut within an inch of the ground level as they brown out for the winter months. They will multiply well too, and.....your blooming north wall will get even more color as the years go by.

Mitch