QUESTIONS ON STRAWBERRIES...

iVillage Member
QUESTIONS ON STRAWBERRIES...
Fri, 03-28-2003 - 11:03am
Hi! Fancy boards uh??

I am very interested in planting strawberries this year, for the first time. Do I NEED to have a raised bed for them??? What do I need to prepare for them? Can I plant them in those terracota planters with the little "windows" (don't like to call them holes rofl! And living in SE Oklahoma, when can I start planting them?

Thanks, I know thats a lot of questions!!

Letty

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-28-2003 - 12:08pm
I don't have my strawberries in a raised bed. I just planted them in some good topsoil with a bit of peat moss added. I fertilize once a year, water once or twice a week depending on the heat. I've never used the terra cotta planters, but I don't see why you couldn't use them.

I'm in Canada so I can't help on when to plant. We still have snow so I'm waiting to get out into the garden. LOL

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-28-2003 - 12:44pm
Hi Letty - welcome to the board! I feel certain cl-disvet will have some advice for you as well. He's more in your vicinity - and should be able to advise you on timing, etc. Hope to see you here often~!

~ S n o w ~

~*Snow*~

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-28-2003 - 3:18pm
Thank you! The weather here was nice the last few days, and now it's rainy and cool, but tomorrow it should get really cold again.....waah! So I know I have to wait for that cold front to go away. I just wondered if you do it while still cool or wait till it's warm??

Stay warm!

Letty

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-28-2003 - 3:21pm
You bet you'll be seeing more of me! As soon as I get finished with taxes and weather starts getting warm again, I'll start visiting a lot!!

Thanx for welcome!

Letty

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-28-2003 - 5:18pm
You will want to wait until the danger of frost is passed, before setting your strawberry plants in the ground ;) (Unless cl-disvet tells you otherwise - he's probably got more experience with strawberries!)

~ S n o w ~

~*Snow*~

iVillage Member
Sat, 03-29-2003 - 9:37am
A note to all concerning strawberries:

In "strawberry fields" all over from the cold and snowy Erie PA area to warm and sunny climates like FL and CA, the farmers plant their new plants as soon as a month after their last strawberries are done for the year, Strawberry plants are cold hardy, self seeding, from those you don't pick, and the reason the farmers re-plant each year is that they make a proffit from those wonderful plants, wanting their fruits to be as big, sweet, and plentiful as possible. They till in the straw that was used for mulch for the next season's berry fields, keeping that soil broken up, and feeding those new plants with the waist/breaking down of the straw.

You can plant them in the spring anywhere in the country as soon as the soil in your area can be tilled. NOW:::::

Strawberries MUST have well drained soil with much mulch....those farmers actually use straw layed fairly thickly over the rows that have the plants in them. Keeping the roots cool and just moist, not swamped nor dry will provide the biggest berries. To wet, they actually split, and become hollow. To dry, and they are hard, seedy, and not sweet at all. Pick your berries as they become "just ripened", they should feel stiff to the touch yet even though they've turned that fantastic red color.

As for raised beds....I myself simply till the soil, adding in a lot of peat moss and leaf litter, and then pull up the rows for the berries, about 4 inches above the walking rows...the higher the """"hill"""" the easier it is to bend down to pick them, and they don't drown in over watering, as they do most of their growing during the spring anyway. If you plant RIGHT NOW, you should be getting some fruit by the end of June.

Then, when all of your plants are exhausted, and you see the plants available for transplanting again next fall....get some more, and put them into your beds, marking them with popsicle sticks so that you can prove to yourself whether you need to re-plant new ones every year. Do remember that soil (just right) for strawberries is loose enough that the plants can actually be pulled out at the end of the season by hand....yep real loose soil, and neutral PH....but there are even commercial "strawberry plant" fertilizers out there too.

I hope this helps you, answer's your question, and dispells the myth that one needs to wait for warm weather to put them in....B.T.W. If you wait until the weather gets warm....your yeilds will be small in amount and fruit size, and usually the fruits themselves won't have that sweet almost melt in your mouth wetness.

Mitch