New to having a yard...

iVillage Member
New to having a yard...
Fri, 03-28-2003 - 6:40pm
We moved from a townhouse to a "real" house--now we have a yard and mulch beds to take care of. We moved in last summer. I have done nothing with the mulch beds except pull the many and various weeds that come up in them. One of them has some kind of tree and a few green plants that have long, thin green and white leaves---I have no idea what they are, but they look ok. Anyway--now that it is spring, should I dig out the old mulch and put down new? Or should I just put new on top of it? Or should I just leave it as is? I have to say the woody mulch looks rather worn and gray. Any suggestions? (BTW--I have no luck growing things--I have killed every houseplant i ever had--even an aloe plant--I have a BLACK thumb)
iVillage Member
Sat, 03-29-2003 - 8:43am
Hi thaeda! Well - there is no need to remove the mulch unless you prefer not to have mulch! If you want - top it off with a little fresh. Keep it a few inches from the base of the plants, though, so that you dont smother them. If you decide to redo the entire bed, I'd suggest putting down a weed barrier first, and then applying the fresh mulch of your choice.

~ S n o w ~

~*Snow*~

iVillage Member
Sat, 03-29-2003 - 9:51am
Great advice was given to you by Snow_in_summer of course!

For realy good results, keep the old where it is, use a weed barrier, and use the recipe I've given for feeding your plants. This works best though if you use mulch that doesn't contain (PINE) wood. The bark is OK, but I preffer to use hardwood mulch myself. The recipe is in the archives, and I will be pulling it up to post as a "new post" to add to this new board.

Great good luck!

Mitch