Make your own fertilizer

iVillage Member
Make your own fertilizer
Sat, 03-29-2003 - 10:02am
This recipe is all I use for my garden areas for food after I make my soil, and cover with "natural" mulch!

One can of cheap beer, one can of caramel colored soda pop...(make sure it is NOT diet... one tablespoon of epson salts, and one teaspoon of liquid dish detergent (I use the lemon scented dish detergent for bug control as well). Additionally, to give that "first of the season boost: you can add up to two tablespoons of just plain old household amonia into a commercial type liquid feeding spray bottle that attaches to your garden hose...give your plants a drink of this once a week....make sure you water them in with it too now when putting in new plants and seed!

Now, if you don't have a hose end sprayer, and have to water your plants with a watering can, this recipe will work the same if you put it into a 5 gallon container, finish filling with water, then use it half and half with more water in your watering/sprinkling can. For house plants....making sure to add the amonia, cut the ingredients in fourths, and put into a one gallon container to water your plants with every time you water them, unless they are in need of a (((shower))) yep...house plants need a shower every now and again, simply place them into your shower or tub, using cold water, give them a shower to wash off all the nasties and oils from within your home. There are a few plants that can't be watered from above, like african violets, so do NOT put them into your shower, but instead, dust off their leaves once every month to 6 weeks tops. They need the pores in their leaves opened up to breathe in our pollution, turning it into food for themselves, and oxygen back into the air for us.

Mitch