About soil for strawberries...........

iVillage Member
About soil for strawberries...........
Sat, 03-29-2003 - 11:48am
You say the soil should be really lose. Well, unfortunaley for me, we have great soil that will grow almost anything, however, when it rains it becomes sticky and like clay....what can I do or add to change this???

Thanks.

Letty

iVillage Member
Sat, 03-29-2003 - 1:48pm
Hi again Letty! Try mixing in some peat moss to loosen that soil. Leaf mold and compost wont hurt either ;)

~ S n o w ~

~*Snow*~

iVillage Member
Sun, 03-30-2003 - 8:07am
Please allow me to put in my two cents worth:

Soil mixtures for making good soil better, and poor soil work for almost everyone:

One part top soil

One part organic matter

One part peat moss

A handful of sand. If your soil is real heavy in clay, up to one third part per above.

Blend together in a wheelbarrow or on the ground using either a pitchfork or your hands. Lay it on top of already existing soil at least four inches deep. Work into the soil vigorously with a pitchfork or rototill.

The basic recipe comes from "gardening channel" experts, which I've added just a bit with the sand mixture for heavy clay soil types. I, also living in a very heavy clay soil area, double the peat moss.

Mitch

iVillage Member
Sun, 03-30-2003 - 8:31am
Now Mitch,"bear" (rofl!) with me! My only knowledge of planting is make a hole in soil, drop seed or plant, cover, water, and cross your fingers! LOL

So excuse my ignorance, but what is organic matter??? Are we talking compost?? And another thing, we got cattle, so I got lots of 'patties' around the pasture, how long do they need to be out there before safely using it? Can it be used? I've heard you can....somewhere, sometime, someone, said not to use it fresh or it would burn your plants.

Oh, I forgot, do strawberries need all sun, shade or a bit of both??

Thanks for the help and patience.

Letty

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-01-2003 - 11:01am
When gardeners speak of natural materials, compost, leaf mold, and yes...even cow patties count. If however you use cow patties, do make sure you are using them at least 2 weeks after they are dropped....LOL...I preffer to take them the day they are dropped, and pile them up, allowing them to heat like compost to kill off any weed seeds that have passed through the cow's systems. The worst manure for gardening though for seeds is from horses. That stuff will grow more weeds than you can immagine. The hottest, and most dangerous if used in to much concentration if from chickens, and must be mixed with other copost materials at least 4 weeks prior to being used.

Finally....strawberries and full sun.....they can tollerate some shade, but less shade, smaller plants and berries by far. Sorry it took so long to get back to you lety...Good luck, and for and (organic material), consider anything that grows, or has grown, from grass to leaves to manures. The best is that which has been composted, but you can purchase such from garden centers too.....shucks, they even have "sterilized cow dung" for those of us who don't have cows around for it ourselves....LOL

Mitch

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-01-2003 - 6:45pm
Thanks for your patience and for all the information Mitch. As for the cow patties....dried up old ones are good enough for me...I will not get close enough to a fresh one if I can help it!!!

So, I got all my info on strawberries, now I have to start working the soil. One last question....we got 2 truckloads of sawdust to put in our barn, would that work for the soil to loosen it??? Or would sand work better???

Thanks much,

Letty

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-01-2003 - 6:54pm
Gee Letty! Sawdust with your old cow pies counts as (organic material), as it becomes food for worms and roots, but you will be VERY disappointed in any attempt to loosten the soil with it. It will work for a short period, but once wetted....back to heavy mess to work in, and retains moisture way to long to count as (good drainage). Please get some sand, either road sand, sand from a concrete place, or purchased at a lawn and garden center to add to your soil for the best and most permanent result to keep your soil loosened.

Sorry, but one can't cheat on getting the sand into their soil to make sure it gets set up for proper water drainage. No one wants split or hollow strawberries, and that's what you will get if to much moisture is available for them.

Mitch