Need landscaping help

iVillage Member
Need landscaping help
Sat, 03-29-2003 - 1:33pm
Hi. I have a new house with a pretty good sized front and back yard. Unfortunately there are practically no shrubs or trees.

I have been doing research, and I know that I want to get only fast growing plants for now. I really want a fruit tree preferably a peach tree. I am from the south by the way and peach trees are pretty big here. I would also like a weeping willow, but I know they can be difficult because they grow so large, so I am rethinking that one. For shrubbery I was thinking about forsythia, because it blooms so early.

Anyway, I know that these are fast growing, but does anyone know about how long it takes before peach trees start to really mature? By mature I mean, the long branches, and good sized leaves and fruit.

I really want my yard to look friendly, so I would welcome any suggestions.

iVillage Member
Sun, 03-30-2003 - 8:00am
Welcome NOVA_RI! To start out: Go to your local nurseries, and pick a peach tree that has good branch symetry, and is at least 3 years old, and I'de preffer one 5 years old. Have a hole in your yard that is twice the size of the "root ball", and get it redied with lots of peat moss, leaf mold, and if possible, (composte) even if you have to purchase it. Mix these together with your own soil, and put at least 4 inches below the root ball, then half way up the ball....water real well, then finish filling the hole, and water real well again....your soil around the root should be wetted to near swamp conditions to assure no air is in the soil mixture. Your tree should give you fruit by it's age of 5 to 7, depending on it's age when you plant it. 5 years is the normal for the first fruitings, but if you get one that is already 5 years old, but much stronger to begin with, it may take an additional year for it to form fruit.

As for other plantings....considering that you are in the south, you may want to include a variety of 5 gallon sized azaleas as well for their wonderful colors in the spring. The cost per size will give you a big look in much less time. This goes for any shrub. Also include a weeping (((FIG))) tree instead of willow...they don't get as tall by far, and will give you the added benefit of fruits as well. Please remember that weeping willow trees LOVE water, and will send roots forever looking for it.

I am thinking of another (very dark green leafed tree) ((Magnolias)! They have wonderful, very large flowers on them, and ohhh the smell. They flower in mid to late spring, and hold their dark green leaves all year down south.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance, and I will attempt to give you as informative replies as I can.

Mitch

iVillage Member
Sun, 03-30-2003 - 12:30pm
Thanks for your response Mitch, you have lots of great ideas.

I love magnolia trees too. I had one in my back yard growing up, and I loved it. I love the feeling of having all those southeren trees and shrubbery in my yard, thats the reason I want peach trees, I guess. I have a good sized yard for the suburbs, but no comparison to the yards I had growing up.

As far as buying the peach tree at 5 years old, I thought of that, but I have heard that planting a tree that is almost grown can be difficult.

I do want some shrubbery as well though, I am thinking of something with pretty long flexible branches like the forsythia looks in the summer. Anything else like this would be good though.

Another question about the fig, or peach tree. If I plant them at 5 years old, will they already look mature, as far as the branches and leaves.

I am dying to get some life into my yard, and I want my kids to be able to enjoy picking their own fruit off of a tree in the summer like I used to enjoy.

Thanks for your advice.

Nova