tulip questions.......

iVillage Member
tulip questions.......
Mon, 03-31-2003 - 7:47am
(dumb ones but pls bear with me). I planted about 30 or so tu;ips in a small bed in the front yard. (they're starting to come up!!) I never put mulch on the bed, is that something I can still do/should do? When the tulips are done, do they die off, do I dig them up? Will they come back next yr? Can I plant something else in that bed once the tulips are done?

shell

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-31-2003 - 8:03am
Welcome shell_4226.mum! every question you asked gets the same answer to a point. Yes, you should mulch them in, but wait now until after the leaves die off. Yes, you can plant other plants around them, but I'de do that before they die off so that you aren't planting and digging them up in the process. Yes, they will come back next year just fine, with no digging the bulbs up. Just do NOT cut off the leaves until after they are all completely browned up. The bulbs get their energy for next year from the leaves left on them this year.

Now.....as for mulching the garden area in for other plantings...if you are careful, you can put down mulch now even, but don't go pushing it tight to the tulip plants, leaving about an inch of space between the plant and the mulch, then you can plant your other offerings through the mulch. After the leaves of the tulips die back, you can mulch over them by either adding more mulch to their areas, or shuffling some of what you already put down.

Mitch

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-31-2003 - 8:14am
I see Mitch has you all taken care of :)

~ S n o w ~

Edited 3/31/2003 9:16:33 AM ET by cl-snow_in_summer

~*Snow*~