Dumb question about onion grass

iVillage Member
Dumb question about onion grass
Mon, 03-31-2003 - 1:16pm
We live in the former home of an avid gardener. In one bed she had planted lots of little bulb plants (irises, etc..), but we also have a big onion grass problem in that bed. How do I tell the difference between the onion grass and the bulbs, without crushing and smelling each plant? I'm ready to just sacrifice the flowers to get rid of the weeds.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Ellen

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-31-2003 - 6:53pm
Hi Ellen - sounds like a "situation". I'm sure Mitch will have some input here - but the way I see it you have two choices - wait until they are mature, and then pull out those which arent desirable - or dig up the bed and replant those which ARE bulbs. You may want to combine this advice - let them grow and mature this summer - and then in the fall dig up the bulbs and transplant, removing the weeds at that time. Either way - you will want to mulch the soil to prevent this from becoming a problem again. Good luck!

~ S n o w ~

~*Snow*~

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-01-2003 - 5:57am
Welcome to the age old problem of how to get rid of onion grass....It's almost as bad as getting rid of mint.

First of all, enjoy those tulips!!! After they are done blooming for the season, water the planting bed very thoroughly....I mean REALY WET, and let it set about an hour...do this again, then allow the water to do some (majic) for you over night....The next day, you can go out and with a shovel meant for digging in flower pots, very little effort, pull up each onion grass grouping very easily. I preffer to tug at the group with one hand, and work the shovel with the other to remove the plants with their bulbs in tact.

Short of working yourself half silly digging up an entire bed, just to miss one or two bulbs of that onion grass, this method will clear up your problem very well.

Mitch