Know anything about Hyacinths??Please!?!

iVillage Member
Know anything about Hyacinths??Please!?!
Fri, 04-04-2003 - 1:29pm
Hey, I'm so happy to find this board. I've been looking all over for info on the Hyacinth. Can't seem to find anything. I bought a 4" Hyacinth about 4 days ago and it is starting to lean to the side like it's going to fall over and looks like it is dying. Maybe I am just clueless (I really know nothing about flowers-would like to start this spring). Do you think that it needs to be repotted? The pot that it is in is very small. Thanks for any advice! Lisa
iVillage Member
Sat, 04-05-2003 - 6:53am
Welcome mommy2taylor02! Onto holding up your hyacinth...Simply put in a thin stick, about the diameter of a straw, can be purchased at any hardware area, and even in the craft section of wal mart stores beside the bulb, and loosly tie a piece of yarn between the stick and the center stand of the hyacinth, making the area of the yarn between the stick and the plant itself cross over....(imagine a figure 8) between the two. You can wrap the stick once or twice, but only one loose time around the center of the hyacinth.

Once the blooming is done, allow the plant to live outdoors as much as possible, then during mid fall, cut back the leaves to within half an inch of the top of the soil in your pot, take the bulb out of the pot, and place it into your garden for the winter months.

If you would preffer to keep the plant as a "potted" one, still, cut and burry the pot into some soil to a depth of about 3 inches, then in mid to late January of next year, dig up the pot, re-pot the bulb/s, and allow them to warm in your house for an early bloom inside. I much preffer to have mine outside in my bulb garden, but forcing them to bloom early indoors sure adds a wonderful spring collor into your home. Once again though, as the flowers form, they put a lot of weight onto their stem, and will need support from the thin stick.

Great Good Luck, and never give up on gardening. It's one of those things that take very little time to learn how to do, but a lifetime to master everything about them. Every year seems to bring different weather patterns, if you move, different soil types, just so much to constantly learn, but so rewarding to watch new and wonderous life spring forth from such little labor once you realy take the time to enjoy such wonders.

Mitch