Making fresh soil for new plants

iVillage Member
Making fresh soil for new plants
Wed, 04-09-2003 - 8:30am
This can be done per plant or for large areas, depending on how you plan to garden or work plantings: I have worked my area now for 4 years, so I havn't busted a budget all in one year....

One part top soil

One part organic matter

One part peat moss

A handful of sand

Blend together in a wheelbarrow or on the ground using either a pitchfork or your hands. Lay it on top of already existing soil at least four inches deep. Work into the soil vigorously with a pitchfork or rototill.

Now, if you live in a sandy area, less or no sand is needed, and if your soil is heavy in clay, you will need to add more sand and peat moss.

Shucks, in my area, the first year, making two large beds in heavy clay soil, I went through two of the largest squared bags of peat moss, a pick-up truck filled half way in an 8 foot bed of sand, and the leaves from every yard I could get my chance to mow into my grass catcher with. But, since then, I've not worked such large areas, and have had the chance to get soil/tree mixture from people having tree stumps ground out to work with as well.

My step father's method was to use bales of straw, chopped into the soil to help break it up as well, and in some years, some crops just got planted onto worked soil, and simply covered with straw to a depth of 4 to 10 inches, then till that in, in the fall....of course we were raising crops, not pretty flowers...lol

Next week I will tackle (what constitutes compost) and what NOT to put into your compost bins/piles, or those fancy barrels.

Mitch