What to Plant with Impatiens?

iVillage Member
What to Plant with Impatiens?
Fri, 04-11-2003 - 7:59am
Hi,

I want to fill my front yard with impatiens, but I'd like to plant something that complements them as well. Any ideas?

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-11-2003 - 9:32am
For full flowers....mums, petunias, marigolds, or batchelor's buttons even, for leaf color, go for hostas, lambs ears, caladiums, or dusty millers, or a couple of each even. The dusty millers and caladiums will typically grow taller than the impatiens though, and would do better as a background plant, or along one edge. There are a few ideas, both flowering and for leaf color. Personally, I like to mix in plants for leaf color with flowering plants. I have a tall flowering plant in a corner in each of my two main flower beds that has large flowers on them as an anchor....it can be a rose even, but mine are ranuculus. I also put in early season plants that will die off during mid July here for fast spring color, and those flowering varieties are pansies, snap dragons, and violas.

Now, the lambs ears and dusty millers will need to be cut back with a very long bladed knife or a saw through the root that lies under the leaves at the sides each year, leaving your original diameter back for next year, as they do tend to overgrow if you don't cut them back....This is not a hard task, it doesn't hurt the plant, and shucks, is a good way to multiply them for other areas of your yard or flower gardens each year. You can also add them into compost piles for plant nutrients for the following year, or earlier if your pile is in one of those compost machines...lol I'm not lucky enough to be able to afford one of them though.

One note on lambs ears......some people think they are a bit agressive, and will grow rootings under the leaves they put out to the sides. Personally though, I like this as it fills in any open areas awaiting the flowering plants to get to them, then I just use a (sheet rock saw) to cut back the leaf and roots under them growth, allowing the flowering plants more room back into the lambs ears...yep, got to have my garden area a bit full, and for that, I don't mind cutting some back as others grow into them.

Mitch

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-11-2003 - 11:36am
Mitch,

Can the impatients be planted in front of the hostas? We already have hostas on either side, directly in front of the porch.

Also, do petunias require full sun? I would need to plant something that can thrive in shade, like the impatiens will.

Thanks!

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-11-2003 - 1:43pm
Yes, the impatiens can be planted in front of the hostas, and as for planting anything that realy wants full sun....the only downfall to doing such.....shorter growth. If this is not a problem, then you won't have any.

I have my canna lillies planted is such a way that some get almost 4 hours of full sun, while others get only shaded sun from trees around us. My asiatic lilies are on the north side of my house, and my entire (bulb) garden is under a tree which causes them to get good sun in the winter and early spring, then nearly none after that, yet they still thrive very well.

Putting a plant that wants less sun though will cause them to wilt, and if not shaded, can die from such....the other way around...shorter plants, smaller flowers, that's all.

Mitch