Gardening in FL?

iVillage Member
Gardening in FL?
Sat, 04-12-2003 - 7:25pm
Hello everyone,

Wondering ayone know what plats/flowers grown well in Florida? I live in central Florida near Orlando. The weather is mainly hot & sunny & these plants won't be getting a whole lot of shade. Any tips/ideas/advice would be appreciated.

Thanks so much!

Daisy

iVillage Member
Sun, 04-13-2003 - 12:16pm
Contrary to some beliefs, I'm not an expert on everything gardening....LOL But, may I make a suggestion to you about finding out what will grow well, and look best in your area?

Take a field trip to local Hotel's, and look around them at the plants...take along a camera, and capture what you see. If there is a "botanical garden" close by, the plants outside will be labeled even, and you can not just take a picture, but write down the name of the plant species. One other area to look at at the end of the day, as a reward if it's in your area and interests is one of the putting game places. Shucks, you will find plants there out in bright sun as well, even if it's evening by then, those plants are hit hard by all kinds of things...golf balls, golf clubs, children, and that hot summer sun as well.

Now, you can take those pics, arrange them on your table as if in your garden area, and pick the ones that you want to put where for the best year round color for your yard and imagination.

Next step....local nursery/lowes/walmart, and pick out your choices, and have fun with your spouse and or children, making the looking a real field trip....who can find the most not already seen plants, or colors of such.

I'm sure sorry that I can't be of any further assistance, but would love for you to share your findings here too. I sure don't want to be giving you the old stand by (palm trees and cactus) leads, as a visit to central Florida some 7 years ago in January showed me a lot of plantings in that area, but some dumb old guy forgot to memorize their names, or take pictures of each type...LOL...I was to busy with the business meeting being held there which I was attending. My DW and I did take a trip the day we got in though to a nursery full of palm trees, cactus, and orchids. To bad we didn't have more time to take in the sights.

With warmest regards, best of luck wishes

Mitch