Groundcover ideas??

iVillage Member
Groundcover ideas??
Fri, 03-07-2008 - 8:18am

Hi all, I'm new to the forums.

iVillage Member
Sat, 03-08-2008 - 8:30am

Hello and Welcome to our Board Laura!

There are a ton of ground covers that you can use to fill in the space. Lets see if you like any of these ideas:

Iris (bulb) - when the flowers die off just chop off the heads and leave the spike green leaves up. They will look gorgeous in the spring when they bloom, grow wonderfully against the fence, and when the flowers are gone it's just nice green spikey leaves that stay green and spikey all the way through.

DayLilies - another great landscap fence line idea. These will grow lilies mid spring early summer that bloom (yellow or orange usually), and then when the flowers die and blow away in the wind you'll be let with long grassy looking puffs that look attractive all year through.

Carpet Moorheim Beauty Phlox - No other plant spreads so lavishly, needs so little attention, flowers so profusely with so little care. Needlelike semi-evergreen ground cover in early to mid-spring. Grows only 2-6" high with a neat creeping habit. Moorheim Beauty Carpet Phlox thrives anywhere, even in poor, dry, sandy soil where other ground cover fails. Space 12-18".

Liriope - An almost indestructible plant for stubborn areas. Liriope gracefully fills those spots where nothing else will grow. Large, pale lavender flower spikes bloom in late summer, rising above arching, evergreen tufts of grassy foliage. Grows 12-15" tall.

Sedum - Excellent for hot, dry sites! Lowgrowing plants have succulent leaves, require little care once established. Space plants 12-18" apart. Plants grow 6-9" tall. S. kamtschaticum Deer Resistant Zone 3 to 9

Blushing Evening Primrose - Produces loads of

iVillage Member
Sat, 03-08-2008 - 2:43pm

Welcome to the board Laura

MargeHorsesSiggy2010.jpg picture by Sky_horse
iVillage Member
Sun, 03-09-2008 - 9:40pm
Oh jeeze - you make me so red! LOL
iVillage Member
Tue, 03-11-2008 - 11:51am

Hello Laura,

I highly recommend the new groundcover landscape roses that are extremely low maintance. No pruning, no deadheading, minimal fertilizing and care.

These new groundcover roses bloom from spring until frost. They are a lot easier and are a lot more beautiful than any other groundcovers out there.

Many perennial groundcovers have to be divided every few years (3-4), in order to keep blooming, and perennials rarely bloom longer than 3-4 weeks per season. Not so with these new groundcover roses. They bloom all season until frost and they are selfcleaning, meaning no deadheading (removing spent flowers) in order to continue blooming.

Here are a few of the best ones for your region.

GROUNDCOVER ROSES:

Electric Blanket: Hot pink flowers that are loaded with petals. This groundcover rose is not as high or spreading as some other groundcovers, it's a great choice for smaller spaces or narrower spaces. This rose has been honored by the Rose Societies, when it proved in vigorous trials to be

iVillage Member
Tue, 03-11-2008 - 3:13pm

Thanks annelie!

I like the idea of the roses for groundcover.

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-24-2008 - 6:18pm

My favorite groundcover is snow-in-summer. It forms a thick mat that blocks out weeds. It blooms in spring, completely covered in tiny white flowers. The flowers have a wonderful scent. The rest of the year, it is an attractive gray/green. You can quickly run a weed eater over the spent blooms to trim them back when they're done blooming.

I have a picture of it in my blog (link in my signature) if you'd like to take a look. Just click on snow-in-summer in the labels section.

You can read more about snow-in-summer here: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/728/

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com http://medicaltranscriptionforyou.blogspot.com/ http://gardeningontherun.blogspot.com/