New here lots of questions to follow

iVillage Member
New here lots of questions to follow
Tue, 03-11-2008 - 3:33pm

Hi everyone I am Marcy I am new to the garden board but not to ivillage.

I am a married

Marcy

Mom to

Sal 11/29/01

Jojo 4/18/03

pregnancy calendar

Pages

iVillage Member
Tue, 03-11-2008 - 4:57pm

Hi Marcy! Perennials are usually best transplanted when they're dormant...not in the growing, flowering, or fruiting stage. Cool weather is best for transplanting, that way hot sun doesn't stress them out.

I think the last frost dates for zone 6 range from March 30 to April 30.

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com http://medicaltranscriptionforyou.blogspot.com/ http://gardeningontherun.blogspot.com/
iVillage Member
Wed, 03-12-2008 - 9:17am

Welcome to the board Marcy

MargeHorsesSiggy2010.jpg picture by Sky_horse
iVillage Member
Wed, 03-12-2008 - 9:19am

Thanks for the transplanting advice...can ya tell I am really aching for spring here.

Thanks for the welcomes too!

Marcy

Mom to

Sal 11/29/01

Jojo 4/18/03

Marcy

Mom to

Sal 11/29/01

Jojo 4/18/03

pregnancy calendar

iVillage Member
Wed, 03-12-2008 - 9:31am

The only thing I've ever transplanted like that was a bunch of daffodils late last Spring when we moved here, they're coming up now so I guess all will be okay LoL!

MargeHorsesSiggy2010.jpg picture by Sky_horse
iVillage Member
Thu, 03-13-2008 - 11:50am

Hi Marge! I love the sounds of your ivy growing up the mailbox post, that sounds just lovely. Congratz on the daffodils! I seriously need to get out into the yard but it's s'posed to snow this weekend (crying)

Take care,

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 03-13-2008 - 11:53am

Welcome here Marcy :) Great question and I don't have anything to add in the way of advice but I like the comments that everyone else posted - I have

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 03-17-2008 - 8:09pm

Hey Marcy!

Glad to see you on on this board too! :)

How have you been feeling - everything going well with your pregnancy? One thing I recently read in the Expecting book that it is important to wear you gloves while gardening to make sure you don't get harmful pesticides and etc under your nails or through your skin. So I will be sure to put mine on this year, it will be hard for me to remember as I'm such a who cares if I get a little dirty type of gal, but gotta protect that little bean!

I live in Zone 5 so I have some very similar weather conditions and etc as you. The best time to transplant is either in the early spring or in the fall. Spring is the best time though, being that it is just starting to get warm out April will probably be the best month to do this. So you'll be just in time! :) Remember to water well when you transplant.

As for your veggies the way your starting them is a really good way. When they get nice and big and frost is totally gone (usually early June) you can begin transplanting out doors. They will be sensititve so be sure to keep an eye on the weather. If there is frost danger you can always cover the plants with a tarp. They should do pretty well though. Veggies are pretty resillent plants for the most part. Fertlizer is key along with watering during the dry spouts.

iVillage Member
Wed, 03-19-2008 - 12:49pm

Thanks Stacie. I thought your siggy looked very familiar! I am doing very well in my pregnancy. I hope yours is going well also. I keep thinking about gardening with my big belly and laughing. I am sure when the summer comes I will be doing more sweating than laughing. :)

I did just recently read about keeping your gloves on. I would have never thought of that before. I am also a get your hand in the dirt kinda girl too but we have lots of straggling construction debri that pops out from the soil every now and then. We had a house fire and the whole house was demolished so I have been picking up nails, glass, shingles ect for 2 yrs. So needless to say when working in this yard I wear gloves all the time.

Also my little veggie seedlings are coming along so well. My boys are so excited to watch them grow. They check on them everyday after school. I can't wait until my boys can help me pick the fresh veggies.

Marcy

Mom to

Sal 11/29/01

Jojo 4/18/03

pregnancy calendar

iVillage Member
Thu, 03-20-2008 - 6:50am

I keep thinking about that too - and how am I going to feel heat wise. I am so worried about not being able to do much because of getting too hot. MY parents have a pool however they are just over 20mi away from me. While I can drop by any time I want I usually get cooled off from the drive before I get there. Makes me really wish I had a pool of my own. Maybe some day!

Sorry to hear about the house fire! Sounds like you were able to pick up the pieces again though. :)

I so NEED to get my seedlings started - I should have started them a month ago but my job is litterly sucking all the engergy and then some out of me. By the time the weekend hits I just want to sleep!

iVillage Member
Tue, 03-25-2008 - 4:03pm

Hey there!

Pages