Flowers for containers?

iVillage Member
Flowers for containers?
Mon, 03-31-2008 - 9:27am

I distinctly do NOT have a green thumb, but I also have a huge deck that's empty and I want to fill up a bunch of large resin planters I found the other day.

~~joannaran~~

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-31-2008 - 1:12pm

Hi! I have styrofoam pieces from packing boxes in the bottom of some of my pots. That certainly keeps them light. Others will have other ideas I'm sure. But I do think you definitely need drainage holes. Can you drill some into the bottom of the pots? If not, maybe you can put a smaller pot into the larger patio pots, then the smaller pot can drain.

Do you have several hours of morning sun? Petunias will probably work well as I've found I have too much sun in most of my spots for petunias, halfway through the summer they get really spent in the sun. There are lots of varieties that cascade.

I think the lobelia is a great idea too for your climate. My dd grew a lot of that in a barrel in a shady spot last year. If I can find the picture I'll post it later.

There are so many choices out there, you'll have beautiful planters I'm sure and your thumb will be green before you know it you'll be bit with the gardening "bug" we

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 03-31-2008 - 3:02pm

I'd definitely drill drainage holes in the pots. Even if you did put gravel or something in the bottom of the

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com http://medicaltranscriptionforyou.blogspot.com/ http://gardeningontherun.blogspot.com/
iVillage Member
Thu, 04-03-2008 - 6:45am

Hello Joan!

I think the foam would work for drainiage. IF you can though I would drill the holes, or see if you can find some other pots you like just as much with drainage holes, just because IME they tend to work better. Especially if you don't have a green thumb. Just because it takes less out of the equation that you have to worry about later on, and IMO it is lower maintenance. I have seen cheap plastic (I mean the really cheap kind that usually they use in green houses that your supposed to take the plants out of) pots inside of planted pots before. Put in upside down it creates a drainage space that seems to work well. This of course may be impractical for the size of pots you are getting.

There are a ton of annuals you can get, I am very partial to petunias just because IMO they're so easy to grow, do not require much care, and look beautiful and lots of colors. If you want something that will cascade/be trainable...morning glories are great, or Moon flowers mixed in with the morning glories then you will have blooms day - night. For me those worked really well in a partially lighted area, and were ALWAYS putting on blooms late spring - summer. I could train the vines to go in the direction I wanted - and they were so pretty.

Here's a picture of mine right after I bought them:

I think you could probably do all of the suggestions, and ideas you have together and it would look really pretty. :)

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-04-2008 - 8:38pm

Everyone has been giving you good ideas.

JHarvest.jpg picture by 3coolmom

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-08-2008 - 6:22pm

You really don't need to drill holes in the pot.