choosing seeds

iVillage Member
choosing seeds
Wed, 04-09-2008 - 6:51pm
I would like to start using some seeds. Interested in morning glory and sweet pea. Does anyone have a favorite brand or your suggestions. I would think putting the morning glory right in the ground would be good. Can the sweet pea start in a big pot and just stay there?
iVillage Member
In reply to: julie364
Sat, 04-12-2008 - 5:43pm

The brand really doesen't make a huge difference unless you are looking specifically for organic or heirloom seeds. Then Seed of Change and Renee Gardens. I don't think Turtle Tree Seed co sells ornamentals but I could be wrong.

Sweet peas are a cool weather plants and morning glories love the heat. They are great to plant together because the sweetpeas bloom first and when they are petering out the morning glories start showing.

In Northern California I plant my sweetpeas in January and my morning glories can't come out until mid may because of frost. I start them in my greenhouse beforehand.

Both plants have large seeds that benefit from soaking them in water overnight before you plant them. Or you can nick the seed coat with a knife or scarify them by putting a peice of sandpaper in a jar with the seeds, put on the lid and shake them around with the sand paper to nick their seedcoats a bit.

These are actually two of my favorites in the garden.

iVillage Member
In reply to: julie364
Sun, 04-13-2008 - 12:31pm
If you live in a cooler environment such as zone 6 and below I would suggest starting them inside first. They are easy, and will do better this way. Get them growing nice and healthy before transplanting into the ground. They do like the heat so you need to be sure you are clear of frost for the year. Once they get going though they really take off and are so pretty!