birds...

iVillage Member
birds...
Fri, 04-11-2008 - 6:03pm

Hi there! This may be somewhat off topic, but I'm not sure where else to ask. I'm interested in getting a bird feeder to put outside of our front window so the kids can look at it. My first thought was a hummingbird feeder, but the very small amount of research I did on this showed that it could attract ants. Also, isn't it sort of hard to attract hummingbirds? Don't the have a "usual" place that they go. Does that make sense?

So what about just a regular bird feeder? Would the bird seed attract other bugs? I just don't want bugs getting into the house...

Thanks for any tips. And again, sorry about such a random post on a gardening board. I'll probably have some more relavent questions soon!
L

iVillage Member
In reply to: lgliser
Fri, 04-11-2008 - 7:28pm

The first time I ever hung up a hummingbird feeder, I had my first visitor to it within 5 minutes! I was very surprised. The feeder did attract ants, but the ants

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com http://medicaltranscriptionforyou.blogspot.com/ http://gardeningontherun.blogspot.com/
iVillage Member
Sat, 04-12-2008 - 4:04pm

There are hummingbird feeders with ant traps designed in them. They are flat and circular. There is a center circle you fill with water that prevents the ants getting to the sugar water. Wild Birds Unlimited sells them but I have seen them in hardware stores.

Hummingbirds are migaratory, mostly. Some, like the Anna's Hummingbird in Northern California stay year round. They are attracted to red and tubular shaped flowers. They like things like honeysuckle, sages, torch lilies (Knifophia), red trumpet vine.

They also like a gentle mist. You can put a mister on a tree branch and they will fly back and forth through the water and then sit a preen.

These little guys fly 55 miles an hour so go ahead and put the feeder out they are always looking for new "flowers."

iVillage Member
Sun, 04-13-2008 - 12:24pm

This will be my first year with the humming bird feeder so I don't know about the ants. My MIL has them and she gets TONS of hummers. They tend to advertise themselves. And it is so cool to see the hummers, which is why I decided to get one for myself.

As for the regular bird feeders, we've had one up for the last 6 months - granted when we put it up it was near the cooler part of the year and bugs were probably starting to go wherever it is they go so we don't see them in the house. Hopefully not ever though! I don't think they would like the seeds as much as sweet items such as the water and sugar for the hummers. The one thing we have noticed since we put ours up (and got a second) is that the black oil sunflower seeds are what the birds love the best.

Since we started using those we have had to fill both feeders up weekly, some times twice in a week! We don't have anything fancy - just a plain o feeder we hang off of the deck. We don't have to worry about squirells as I have never seen one around here. Sounds crazy I know - because where I grew up about 20mi from where I live now we had them in the yard all the time. But here we have coyottes and they must keep the population down...