Thoughts on vines?

iVillage Member
Thoughts on vines?
Tue, 04-22-2008 - 4:06pm

As I mentioned in a previous post I am a new home owner and my house came with landscape I am not familiar with.

In my front yard on either side of my house I have two BIG gorgeous Japanese maples (a def. STAY) and then on either end of my house I have these nice mini trees/bushes (they have a 2-3' trunk, but are bush shape) that are budding and look nice.

Then there is the ivy.....I was going to tear it all out but the neighbor said it was "good" ivy, maybe she said it was Vinca? I don't know right now its just green buds, no flowers, my Mom said Vinca has purple flowers, and that I know I have some in the back yard, there are purple flowers back there.

Anyway if I do keep the ivy, is it easy maintance?

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 04-23-2008 - 6:52pm

Wow - you are a busy women!!!

Can you take a picture of the vine - I'll see if I can figure out what kind it is for you and then you can decide. Is it close to the house - or a ways away. Vine is not a very good plant to have next to the house as it can go into the foundation and in the walls and etc. Although Vinca Vine seems to be less evasive, I have managed to keep mine by my brick and not up at the house. Vinca does have little purple flowers

Here is a picture of mine:

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-24-2008 - 4:34pm

It would appear to be two types of vines, although a lady at work thinks one of them is a plant called creeping mertle?

See photos below and Thanks!!

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sun, 04-27-2008 - 10:53am

I've got some of that in the back next to my house too.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 04-29-2008 - 8:42pm
It does look like creeping mrytle. I don't care what your neighbor tells you I personally would not let it grow next to the house like that. It can cause problems later...but that's up to you. You can try and move some of it if you want to keep it. Just move it away from the house, vines are easy to transplant. Just try and pull some up by the root and replant it to its new location. You can even grow some indoors by getting a cutting and letting it branch out in water. It will make a nice potted indoor plant.
iVillage Member
Wed, 04-30-2008 - 11:17am

I heard vines are really hard to get rid of/kill?

Photobucket