Wood/Carpenter Bee Problem

iVillage Member
Wood/Carpenter Bee Problem
Mon, 05-05-2008 - 3:02pm

Hi All,

I have a pressure-treated lumber porch,and those pesky bees are drilling holes all over,not to mention everytime we walk out there,we are swarmed by them and that dastardly buzzing sound.Does anyone know how I can get rid of them?I am most concerned about the destroying of the porch,any advice/help/info. would be greatly appreciated.Thanks so much in advance!

iVillage Member
Sat, 05-10-2008 - 7:55am

Do you mean the ones that look like giant bumble bees?

Oh I know your pain! We have them also. My husband has killed dozens of them with his HAT! Swatting at them. We have an exterminator coming out for a follow up treatment for something else next week. I plan to ask him about these pests. I'll let you know what I find out! If he can't do anything I'm buying a badmiton racket and going to town on them! LOL!

Georgia

iVillage Member
Sat, 05-10-2008 - 3:29pm

THey are actually very gentle bees so you don't really have to worry about them stinging you. I used to do windows and they would just hover around me while I worked, unlike wasps who would seek me out to have at me.

I don't know how to stop them. They each drill a hole to lay their egg in and sleep in it at night. I have heard that you can stuff their holes with steel wool and that will keep them out of existing holes but they tend to just drill a new one.

I have an old log in my yard they seem to focus on rather than my barn or house. Maybe you could provide them with something else made out of wood that is appealing to them set in the yard away from your house.

Here is a link with some organic control ideas

http://boards.diynetwork.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/8421916776/m/3601010463

Edited 5/10/2008 3:36 pm ET by hottllipps

iVillage Member
Sun, 05-11-2008 - 10:30pm

Ugh, we have the same prob, they have set up shop in our shed!

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

iVillage Member
Tue, 05-13-2008 - 9:06pm
If you don't feel bad about killing them you could get a bee bomb to help get rid of them. They also have bee traps that you can get where the bees drown. If you don't mind having dead bees in a "jar" around your house...