Help please!! Jasmine doing poorly...

iVillage Member
Help please!! Jasmine doing poorly...
Tue, 05-06-2008 - 8:09am
A friend gave me a lovely jasmine plant (not sure what kind) the second week of April. It did fine for 2 weeks or so, and now, after a month, many of the leaves and flowers are turning brown. (see photos) I don't have much experience with plants; I replanted it after having it for about 2 weeks; it was fairly rootbound and the soil it was in was very poor. I tried to loosen up the roots unsuccessfully and was afraid to damage it so I just put it in a larger pot with better soil around the original soil. I'm in Barcelona, Spain. It probably gets around 2-3 hours of direct light a day and the rest of the day is in the shade as the sun moves. Can anyone tell me what I can do? Replant again? Fertilize? Move so that it gets no direct light? Thanks so much for any help.
iVillage Member
Tue, 05-06-2008 - 11:28pm

The brown leaves look a little like salt burn. Did it sit in water? Does your water havw a high mineral or natural salt content? You can leach a pot by watering and letting the water run out of it, this flushes the salts away. Sometimes you can see high mineral content as a white coating on the edges of the soil.

It also could be sunburn, if it came out of a fairly shaded area into more sun. Or windburn if it has been exposed to high winds (Actually some of my frost burned plants look tlike this right now) But generally if it is browning at the tips it is salt/mineral build up.

Your third picture doesen't look that bad. I see healthy leaves and even some new growth. Pick off the dying stuff so your plant puts it's energy to new growth.

iVillage Member
Mon, 05-12-2008 - 12:21pm

thanks so much for the reply. it didn't sit in water as far as i know, and i honestly don't know what the mineral content of the water

iVillage Member
Mon, 05-12-2008 - 6:57pm
If it is in a pot it needs more than once a week for sure. Actually when I have a heat wave I'm sometimes watering twice a DAY! You can stick your finger in the soil to test, it should be dry on the top but still slightly moist an inch or two underneath. Also plants will wilt towards the end of the day to conserve water but perk up over night. If they don't perk up by morning they need water.

iVillage Member
Tue, 05-13-2008 - 2:37am
Great--i'll do the finger test and water accordingly.