Why don't my green tomatoes turn red??

iVillage Member
Why don't my green tomatoes turn red??
Tue, 05-27-2008 - 2:20pm
I have a question for anyone with tomato plant growing knowledge?

Blueyedblonde

Pages

iVillage Member
Wed, 05-28-2008 - 9:27pm

Hello and Welcome to the board!

It sounds to me like your doing everything correctly, the only thing I would think that might be the problem is the sunlight. I wonder if they were in a more direct path of sun that they would ripen. They also need to have enough heat - which is part of what the sun will bring. That could possibly be the other problem.

iVillage Member
Wed, 05-28-2008 - 11:04pm

Thanks sparkles for your reply, however i do get lots of sun and heat throughout the summer, i was wondering if fertilizing or watering needs to be changed, does anyone know the correct water and fertilizer protocol....do i ever stop fertilizer or watering when wanting the tomatoes to rippen to red??

Blueyedblonde

Blueyedblonde

iVillage Member
Thu, 05-29-2008 - 8:16am

Sorry my advice was not helpful. I guess I was wondering if they got enough sun being that you said they only get noon to dusk sun. I have my tomatoes in a location that faces east so that they get morning - dusk sun. I have never stopped watering or fertlizing and I do not have that problem. I am also in zone 5 and we get a little warmer temps than zone 4. Hopefully some one will stop by and give you another option.

iVillage Member
Thu, 05-29-2008 - 1:22pm
Surely somewhere in here there is a wise old owl that can help me this year with my tomato plants, if you are just tuning in go bacvk to my original question on turning green to red??

Blueyedblonde

Blueyedblonde

Community Leader
Thu, 05-29-2008 - 10:21pm
I see you are in zone 4.
Photobucket

iVillage Member
Sat, 05-31-2008 - 8:37am

I"m sorry you feel that I've "turned my back on you" however I offered the advice I have from the experience I've had from growing them too. I gave you my best possible conclusion to your situation - that's all I have to offer. I'm not physically there to see what happens, and because I don't have this problem in my warmer zone I can only tell you what I believe is happening. That is why I was hoping a "wise old owl" would come and help you because if your certain it is plenty warm enough and there is enough sun then I, personally,

iVillage Member
Sat, 05-31-2008 - 11:22am
Dear don't be so sensitive, i appreciate your advice, but doesn't solve my little problem, someone suggested i get the plants out earlier or cover them at night as fall approaches...will try that...bye for now.

Blueyedblonde

Blueyedblonde

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-03-2008 - 2:18am

I don't think getting them out earlier will help all that much. Tomatos like the soil to be warm. If it isn't warm they will just sit there and not grow. Plants you plant after the soil has warmed will actually outpace the plants planted in cooler soil.

You can warm soil by using black plastic on the ground for a few weeks before you plant.

There is a thing called a Wall o Water that helps keep plants warm too.

I live in zone 7 so I've never experienced my toms not turning red. I am in the Sierra Foothills so our growing season isn't as long as other places in Cali.

I did have an old timer teach me to pick the entire plant, roots and all, then hang it upside down in my basement and the tomatos will continue to ripen.

Don't know if any of that helped.

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-03-2008 - 10:33am
Hang it upside down sounds good, no watering then won't it dry up and die??

Blueyedblonde

Blueyedblonde

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-03-2008 - 7:44pm
Woops. I should clarify that. I meant at the end of the season when you know it's going to freeze soon and have plenty of tomatos on the plant you don't want to lose. So yes, the plants does die but the tomatos continue to ripen.

Pages