Help! raspberries invading!

iVillage Member
Help! raspberries invading!
Wed, 05-28-2008 - 2:22pm

I need help & advice. I have a nicely landscaped yard with all mature plants. On one side I have a tree(looks like a maple), ornamental grass, a few shrubs, and some perennials. They're all well behaved and planted very close to a wooden fence bordering my yard and my neighbor's yard. My neighbor just planted a bunch of raspberries on her side, next to the fence last fall and now I am starting to see raspberry plants shooting up out of the ground on my side. I have dug them up, but a couple have come up right at the base of an existing shrub... if I dig it up, it damages the roots of my shrub and if I spray it with roundup, it will also damage my plant. Also, I have no border between my planting beds and my lawn -- we just keep it edged to control the grass. I'm very worried (and extremely annoyed with my neighbor) that the raspberries are going to come over relentlessly and try to take over my existing landscape. Any ideas on how to stop this from happening? We live in Eugene, Oregon so berries really thrive here.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Pages

iVillage Member
Wed, 05-28-2008 - 3:43pm

I think you'd have to dig a fairly deep trench between

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com http://medicaltranscriptionforyou.blogspot.com/ http://gardeningontherun.blogspot.com/
iVillage Member
Wed, 05-28-2008 - 9:59pm

Hey there!

I was going to suggest the very same thing - a barrier is probably your best bet. I would be irritated with the neighbors too, but unfortunetly there's a good chance that talking to them will only irritate your neighbors. I'm all about working things out, but if one of my neighbors came and complained about my plant and it was on my property I know what I'd say. I on the other hand I know how you feel as my neighbors have decided to build a compost pile right on the back corner of their property which is as far from their house as possible but guess what - it is the corner closest to our house. :( Now I know how important a composte is as a gardener, but I can't help but feel slightly irritated with their location. So I think your best bet will be to get the plastic barrier as suggested. Hopefully that will keep both you and your neighbor happy.

iVillage Member
Thu, 05-29-2008 - 11:12am
Thanks for the advice! I've been researching this online and found a root barrier system that is supposed to last 20 years. It's called BioBarrier and costs $50 for a 12"x20' roll. I took this info over to my neighbor thinking maybe she'd be willing to put it around her raspberry planting area, but instead she said "Why don't you guys just install that on your side?" UGH! My landscaping is well behaved and has been there for over 3 years and now I'm supposed to rip it up to put in a barrier to protect it all from her newly planted (last fall) raspberries. It's not the end of the world or anything, just not very pleasant either. If I was going to plant something invasive, I'd certainly be willing to put in a barrier. But I think I am the luckier of her 2 neighbors as she told me last month that she wanted to plant some English Ivy to grow up her new gazebo. When she went to the Nursery they told her they cannot sell it in our state because it's too invasive. So she went to a local park that has it growing, dug up a little bit of it and planted it in her garden anyway. And this is about 1-2 ft away from the fence line of her other TWO neighbors (one on the side and one in back of her yard). Guess I should be thankful I only have to deal with raspberries. Some people are just so inconsiderate!
iVillage Member
Thu, 05-29-2008 - 11:18am
I would be irritated about the compost pile too. I just don't understand why neighbors don't consider the impact of their decisions on neighbors. Certainly not very, well... neighborly.
Community Leader
Thu, 05-29-2008 - 10:23pm
Yep! Raspberries do that.
Photobucket

iVillage Member
Fri, 05-30-2008 - 12:52am

For the ones growing out of the base of your plant, you can cut them and use a stump killer on the cut ends. I got mine at the local hardware store and it comes in a small bottle with a squeeze tip. You apply it very locally to what you cut and it doesen't effect other plants. We got rid of a black locust that kept sending shoots up all over our yard, even after we cut it back. It took two seasons. None of it came back this year. It's like some kind of triumph. My So is like "Yay. I finally prevailed."

iVillage Member
Fri, 05-30-2008 - 10:44am
Thanks for the advice!! I actually got some of that stump killer at my local nursery yesterday. They said it would kill the plant all the way down to the roots so I don't have to dig it up and disturb my plant's roots. But now I wonder if it will kill her raspberry plants too since they share the same root system. Do you know if that will happen? Or will it just kill the plant popping up on my side?
iVillage Member
Sat, 05-31-2008 - 8:48am
I don't know either. It is a real bummer. We've had some real experiences living in this neighborhood from the direct neighbor boys bouncing off my brick by my mailbox (I bought cute scalloped brick to enclose my iris) to the THREE YR OLD THAT RIDES IN THE ROAD AND THERE ARE NO PARENTS ANY WHRE - he litterally CROSSED ON HIS LITTLE BIKE IN FRONT OF MY CAR LAST NIGHT) NO PARENTS IN SIGHT! DH told me I should start laying on the horn until some adult comes running out to see what is going the next time this happens. I don't know if I can do that and be that big of an A**,, but it is SO SCARY. I know to look for these kids because ALL of them do this crap, but some day some one who doesn't know the idiots that live here is going to end hurting one of them. And you know who's fault it's going to be - the drivers! ARGH! Sorry for the OT rant - but this is my experience with the neighbors right now. I'm not even sure if going to talk to the parents and asking nicely if they're aware that their kidsa are doing this would even help. I really don't get people! Being that I'm going to be a parent in a matter of months I get it even less and less. Life is too presicous not to be paying attention!
iVillage Member
Sat, 05-31-2008 - 3:58pm
Are we neighbors? LOL! Sounds like you are talking about kids that live on my cul-de-sac. Sad, isn't it? My kids are 5.5yo and 7yo and I still go out front to keep an eye on them when they are out.
iVillage Member
Mon, 06-02-2008 - 7:50pm

I would lay on the horn too!! You might scare the kid, but that might stop him from doing it again!!!

Pages