Need help with roses please

iVillage Member
Need help with roses please
Wed, 06-04-2008 - 3:54pm

I have a rose bush that I am having problems with. We bought this house last year so I'm not sure what kind of rose it is or how old, but its a pretty large plant!

It has lots of buds on it and a few opened up. Then it suddenly started having a white powdery type film on the leaves and buds. Now the buds are not even opening. Any ideas? None of my other plants seem to be effected.

Thank you!

Georgia

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-04-2008 - 6:34pm

It sounds like powdery mildew. You can buy treatment products for it anyplace that sells nursery-type products, like Home Depot, WalMart, etc.

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com http://medicaltranscriptionforyou.blogspot.com/ http://gardeningontherun.blogspot.com/
iVillage Member
Wed, 06-04-2008 - 8:56pm
Has to be mildew for sure! Give it some treatment and keep an eye on it. Do you have any pictures, or can you take any pictures of the plant to share. I know there are some rose experts on here that can probably tell you the name if you have a pic of the bloom. I start to think they all look a like, but I will try and help too. :)
iVillage Member
Thu, 06-05-2008 - 8:18am

Thank you both for your help! I have to go to walmart today anyway, so I'll look into buying something there.

I'll let ya know how it turns out!

Thanks!

Georgia

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-11-2008 - 9:55pm

While at Walmart an older lady working in the garden Dept suggest I "not buy those poisons they sell"..LOL..she was sweet and said in her day they would just throw the old dish water on the rose bush. Well, I use a dishwasher but I thought why not! I put some dawn in a bucket, not much just a tiny bit and filled it about 1/2 way. Threw it on the bush. I did that 2 x's. About 2 days apart. And guess what? The mildew is GONE!!!!

God Bless her! Now I can trim it back and hope its Ok.

Whodathunkit?

Georgia

iVillage Member
Thu, 06-12-2008 - 11:16am

You can also use a solution of baking soda and water to treat powdery mildew on roses.

You can lessen the chance of getting powdery mildew by not watering your plants leaves. If you can't help that, water in the morning so water doesen't sit on the leaves at night. Also, do what you can to improve air circulation in your garden. Thin out the center of the rose to allow air to pass through.

THANK YOU for not using poison!

iVillage Member
Sat, 06-14-2008 - 3:48am
Thanks for posting this, I am having the same problem with my climbing rose and will try the soapy water. I know that remedy worked great for those darn aphids ; )
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 06-16-2008 - 9:30pm
I have had great luck with using a