Blue flowers for centerpieces

iVillage Member
Blue flowers for centerpieces
Sun, 06-08-2008 - 12:15am
I need some help- I'm helping decorate for a reunion and we recently changed what we wanted to do for centerpieces-to flowers. Our colors were going to be royal blue and silver. I'd like to do blue and white flowers, but if it doesn't work out, we can use Red.

iVillage Member
Sun, 06-08-2008 - 9:42am

What about blue delphiniums? I don't know how expensive they are, but I had some in my wedding bouquet.

ETA: I just searched for blue delphinium pictures using Yahoo's image search and found this picture: http://www.flickr.com/photos/teen17/1592513491/

Edited 6/8/2008 9:44 am ET by geschichtsgal
iVillage Member
Mon, 06-09-2008 - 5:46pm
How about blue hydrangeas? The bunches are so large that you wouldn't need many to a pot, and they could easily be mixed with other (white) flowers. Also, they dry beautifully so there's no need to panic about keeping them as fresh as other flowers.
iVillage Member
Tue, 06-10-2008 - 9:23pm

Hey there - this is perfect timing a good friend of mine is getting married this July and wants to use Blue flowers as an accent. The florist she was going to use wants to over charge her - silk or fresh - at least IMO. Being that we have a fresh flower market near us where I know it is more than half the cost to even have them do it, and then probably 1/4 of the cost to just do it yourself. Her problem is that she has a destination wedding about 3hrs away. While I can certainly bring her flowers up for her, we are pretty much vetoing that idea due to the fact that there is no fridge to store the flowers in once they are up there! Argh! She doesn't think the site where she is having the wedding will be able to do this and she is worried they will all just melt and die. I don't want to promise that they won't - then have something horrible happen - etc.

N-E-Way...

I love the delphinums - I may suggest those to her, and I would have suggested the hydrangeas becaues they are so big like some one else said, and you can certainly fill in with like white daisy's or carnations which are realitively cheap to off set the overal cost. Carnations are easily died - you could just buy a bunch of those and some blue die to put in the water and leave the rest to flower. You might get some neat results that way too that would give you the blue-white look over all. Iris...there are deep shades of purple, and some blue that would probably work. DH suggestes Blue bell, dunno if that will work. Maybe try and die some mums - if you can find them this time of year.

If you have a fresh flower market near your house I would check that out - I can't remember, but I thought

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-11-2008 - 2:23pm
Thanks for the suggestions...and congratulations on the baby! I haven't been here in so long I missed that news.
iVillage Member
Mon, 06-16-2008 - 9:18pm

I can't see the photo! I think the potted plants will be just fine. People will want to take them home and will enjoy getting them.

It is hard when you're on a budget - I think my friend gave up on real and decided to go with silk. I like my friend a lot but she is really funny about things. If she can't get what she wants right then and right now then she comes up with a rushed idea and dismisses what she really wants. Personally I would try and see if I could figuer something out before giving up - but that is just me.

I can't wait to see what your final product looks like - be sure to take lots of pictures and tell us how things go!

Baby Names - BabyNamey.com Name Badge TickerBravado Bras at Nurtured Family